Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by keithkennedy on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:04 pm
keithkennedy
Forum Contributor
I just received notice that my 'pre-order' for the Nikon 500 PF lens was finally being filled (5 month wait). As a Canon shooter (mostly birds and other wildlife) who is jumping ship to Nikon, what camera body should I purchase first to match this lens--a D500 or D850? And at the same time should I pick up a 1.4 teleconverter to go with it or defer this for a later purchase? 
Keith Kennedy
Raleigh, NC

by Anthony Medici on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:35 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I picked the D850 over the D500. This choice allows you to pick FX, 1.2x or DX crops in the field.
Tony

by ricardo00 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:42 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
keithkennedy wrote:I just received notice that my 'pre-order' for the Nikon 500 PF lens was finally being filled (5 month wait). As a Canon shooter (mostly birds and other wildlife) who is jumping ship to Nikon, what camera body should I purchase first to match this lens--a D500 or D850? And at the same time should I pick up a 1.4 teleconverter to go with it or defer this for a later purchase? 

Welcome to the world of Nikon, Keith!  Sure sounds like Nikon is finally catching up with the demand for this lens.
The answer to your question is, it depends!  I have had the 500mm PF lens for almost a year now (and have had the 300mm PF lens for 4.5 years) and use it on a D500.  If you shoot subjects where you can fill most of the frame with a D850, I would say that this would be a reasonable choice.  However, I find that even with a D500 I still usually have to crop some, so would be cropping a lot more with the D850.  I realize the pixel density of the D850 is such that it would allow a bunch more cropping than a D500, however the D500 allows me to shoot 10fps.  To get 9fps with the D850, one has to add the power battery pack, which would add to the weight of the camera.  If you are going to use your Nikon camera with a wide angle lens for scenic shots, the D850 also might be your choice.  However, if you are primarily going to be photographing wildlife with this lens and want the 10fps and needing more reach so generally cropping (and are sensitive to the weight of your gear), then the D500 might be the one to choose (I am sure there will be some who disagree).  As for the 1.4TC, I have been using it extensively on the 500mm pf lens, and even sometimes using the 1.7TC, since I can't get closer to much of the wildlife I try to photograph.  If for some future trip I want a full frame, I might be tempted to get a Nikon mirrorless camera and hopefully one of their to be developed wide angle for the Z mount.

by KK Hui on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:55 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
I picked D500 because ...
1. I shoot birds and almost all my shots require a certain amount of crop in pp even with APS-c format
2. 10 fps with bare body
3. Weights less and smaller size than D850 for portability
4. Half the price of a D850
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Karl Egressy on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:52 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I have both and I like them both and use them with 500 f 5.6 PF ED VR.
For BIF the D500 is slightly better, but the D850 is more versatile as you can choose three crops.
Both cameras can be used with high ISO (ISO 4000 and maybe even higher with a noise level that can be easily managed in PP.)
It is good to have two cameras, I always had two or more.

by owlseye on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:09 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
As someone indicated earlier, it depends on how close you typically get to your subjects. If you live in Florida and shoot a lot of birds, the D850 would be a great body to pair with the 500PFE. Where I live, getting close to wildlife is rare at best. As such, I rely on a crop sensor rather than losing a stop w/ the addition of a converter. 

I typically pair my D500 w/ the 500PF, but I also have a Z6 that I will not hesitate to use when I can approach my subject.

cheers,
bruce

by Anthony Medici on Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:07 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
There is very little difference between the D850 and the D500 in DX mode resolution wise. And most of the time, the 3 fps difference makes little difference too. Where the D850 shines is when you don't need to be in DX mode with your lens.
Tony

by keithkennedy on Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:52 pm
keithkennedy
Forum Contributor
Thanks to all for the excellent comments and perspective--extremely helpful.  Individuals like you all who are willing to take the time to provide valuable comments help make NatureScapes such a great resource. It is very much appreciated.
Keith Kennedy
Raleigh, NC

by flygirl on Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:02 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
keithkennedy wrote:I just received notice that my 'pre-order' for the Nikon 500 PF lens was finally being filled (5 month wait). As a Canon shooter (mostly birds and other wildlife) who is jumping ship to Nikon, what camera body should I purchase first to match this lens--a D500 or D850? And at the same time should I pick up a 1.4 teleconverter to go with it or defer this for a later purchase? 
Hi Keith

I have both cameras and as the folks above say, they are both awesome.  The one thing I found on my recent trip to the Pantanal was the iso capability of the D850.  It just depends on your normal shooting conditions and subjects for sure, as the others has said.  This was taken with the D850 at iso 16,000.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:51 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I'll have to add to the "it depends" idea. I have both cameras and the 1.4 TC. If I want less noise at high ISO I use the D850-I find the D500 noisier at higher ISO. The crop factor gives better reach, and works especially well in good light. Detail is awesome with the 850. It is only a little heavier.
File sizes can be daunting with the D850 using full size raw. Have not experimented much with slightly smaller image sizes. But you'll need a lot of storage space for 850 files, and some patience if your computer slows down.
I rarely use the TC- it slows things down too much on either camera for my taste (I shoot mainly little birds ) .
I am not sure I appreciate 10FPS on the 500- it seems to miss every other frame sometimes. But it DOES enable you to grab some action .
D850 is a little harder to hand hold steady, but not much. Resolution IS awesome.
If I only had one choice? I'd go for the D850.
Incidentally, if you want a FF camera that's a little slow and doesn't have all the fancy digital stuff, I love the D750-great in low light, moderately fast, light weight and sold now at bargain prices. I use it all the time for macro. It holds it's own, with smaller but sharp files. Second choice- get D500 and D750.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by keithkennedy on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:49 pm
keithkennedy
Forum Contributor
Cindy,

Many thanks for your perpsective. Given all the extremely helpful comments, I have ordered a D850. Thanks to all.
Keith Kennedy
Raleigh, NC

11 posts |