Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Kerry on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:10 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I've been in Hawaii for the past week and will be here for one more.  I pulled out my Nikkor 14-24/2.8 lens today for the first time in a couple of days and the zoom ring is stiff...well, beyond stiff, actually.  When I first tried to rotate it, I thought it was locked.  I can now rotate it from end to end, but with tremendous difficulty.  When I last used it, it was fine.  I have no idea what has caused this problem, but I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion about what I can do to loosen it up because in it's current form it's basically unusable as a zoom.

by aolander on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:31 am
aolander
Forum Contributor
There could be something jamming the zoom mechanism such as sand or other debris. I wouldn't force it to move. It should be sent in for repair.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It generally means that there is an internal problem in the lens and it needs repair. It either means that the spiral track that moves the lens elements internally is broken in some way or a lens element has become dislodged. It is likely that one or more elements are not in the right place and the lens has more than likely been optically compromised.

by Kerry on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:25 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I stopped fiddling with--to say nothing of using--the lens last night. It'll have to go into Nikon for repair when I get back to the mainland. Only good news is that it's my least used lens and the cost of the repair will probably be picked up by insurance.

I discovered more "good news" today when I realized that the rubber coating that covers the focus ring on my 24-70/2.8 is loose. At least the lens is still functional and I think I'll be able to nurse it through the rest of the trip, but that'll have to go in for repair too, I'm sure (and insurance certainly won't cover that). This has turned into the trip from hell in terms of equipment-related problems. My hiking boots literally fell apart on me during a hike on Kauai, my cable release has been acting flaky, now these two lens issues. I guess I had it coming as I'd never had a significant equipment-related issue on a photo trip in the 17-plus years that I've been taking them.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Last year when I went to Finland, on my way over I flew from Phoenix to Chicago and then on to Helsinki. When I got off the plane at ORD, the sole literally fell off of my only pair of shoes for the trip, the ones I was wearing... Fortunately I had enough time between flights to hike two terminals (with one show with no sole) to the Johnston & Murphy store at ORD to buy a very expensive pair of shoes to complete the trip with :) Once there, a third party Arca Swiss clamp failed and my a7R3 with 16-35 GM came off of the tripod headed towards concrete. I caught it with my left hand so it didn't hit the ground but severely injured my left shoulder in the process which took about 9 months to recover from. Fortunately this happened on the last night of the trip before my flying home the next morning in pain. Some trips can really make you question things... :)

by Kerry on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:29 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Okay, E.J., you "win." :) I'm free of injuries.

I was able to get a new (and better) pair of hiking boots while still on Kauai--same day that the old pair bit the dust. There's a Famous Footwear location in Lihue and they had a very good selection of hiking boots...and they had my size...and it wasn't even all that expensive, all things considered.

The other stuff...nothing to be done about any of it on this trip as there really are no full service camera stores on either Kauai or Maui, so I'm having to make do with what I've got. I thought I had a backup 9-pin cable release in my bag, but I don't...it must be in my other photo backpack (which is back in Chicago), so I keep working the one that I have, hoping it will hold up (it's behaving erratically--sometimes it trips the shutter and sometimes it doesn't) for the final few days I'm here. The 14-24 is a lost cause, of course, but fortunately it's my least used lens (by a wide margin). If the 24-70 goes down (got through another day with it), I'm cooked.

6 posts |