Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 29 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:47 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
There was speculation that the new 90D was possibly a replacement for both the 80D and the 7D MK2.  Based on what I have read so far, that does not seem to be the case.  First of all, there does not appear to be a high-precision centre AF point on the newly announced 90D.  This is a important feature for me.  It only has 1 card slot.  45 AF points versus the 65 on the 7D MK2. 

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-initial-review-what-s-new-and-how-it-compares

by Neilyb on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:50 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Yaaaawn. Supposedly replacing the 7DmkII yet cannot compete with the 3 year old D500, or the 7DmkII for that matter. The one card slot thing is getting old Canon.

"USB 2.0 (Type-C connector)" I thought this was a typo at first, but no. I would hardly ever use a USB connection but for those that do USB 2.0 is just silly for copying 30MP files? Or am I being too harsh?

Seems the 4K video is not cropped, which is good, but I do not see any 24/25P options for any of the video resolutions?

You wonder why Sony are taking over?

by Neilyb on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:52 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:There was speculation that the new 90D was possibly a replacement for both the 80D and the 7D MK2.  Based on what I have read so far, that does not seem to be the case.  First of all, there does not appear to be a high-precision centre AF point on the newly announced 90D.  This is a important feature for me.  It only has 1 card slot.  45 AF points versus the 65 on the 7D MK2. 

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-initial-review-what-s-new-and-how-it-compares
Those high precision points come in handy on the 5D4, a terrible ommission. 

by OntPhoto on Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:01 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:There was speculation that the new 90D was possibly a replacement for both the 80D and the 7D MK2.  Based on what I have read so far, that does not seem to be the case.  First of all, there does not appear to be a high-precision centre AF point on the newly announced 90D.  This is a important feature for me.  It only has 1 card slot.  45 AF points versus the 65 on the 7D MK2. 

Those high precision points come in handy on the 5D4, a terrible ommission. 
I am still not sure whether the 90D can AF if you put a lens with a native f4 and a 2x making it f/8.

Here is what Canon has on their website.  What does that mean exactly? 

From Canon.com

"45-point all cross-type AF system* Supports up to 27 Points with an f/8 Metering

The EOS 90D camera has a wide-area, 45-point, all cross-type AF system* that helps you get what you want in focus, quickly. This comes in especially handy when trying to photograph fast-moving subjects, like athletes racing at a motocross event, or an athlete scoring a goal. The EOS 90D is compatible with most EF and EF-S lenses that has a maximum aperture of f/8 or higher, and some lenses with extenders attached may operate at a maximum of 27 points. With minimal glare and minimal lag time while looking through the optical viewfinder, the EOS 90D camera will help you get the shot you want without having to lose the fast-moving subject - even in unpredictable settings."

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:35 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Tons of new articles here:

https://www.dpreview.com/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by WJaekel on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
For me, it comes down to the question if the 90D turns out to be a worthwhile upgrade of the 7D Mark II for shooting wildlife along with my 1Dx II.The higher resolution by keeping 10fps in continuous AF is appealing on paper. The single SD slot certainly is a step backwards compared to the 7D II, though I'm not so much concerned of a card failure (which never happened to me up to now). However, - maybe more important for capturing actions -, the raw depth burst is rated a bit lower (25 vs 31 on the UDMA7 CF card in the 7DII) - unless you switch to C-Raw which I haven't tried and compared to uncompressed raw yet. Apart from that, the key points will be IQ, especially as for DR and noise given the higher resolution  - and the accuracy of the AF for tracking moving subjects such a birds. The 7D II has not been totally consistent and reliable here though in combo with the 100-400 it has been pretty good for the most part. The 7D II has a dual Digit 6 processor vs Digit 8 in the 90D and 65 AF crosspoints vs 45. For video, the 90D certainly is much better and the articulated screen is a bonus, too. Personally, I'm more into shooting stills, though. Your mileage may vary. Other missing features compared to the 7D II, such as the convenient lever for switching the AF modes  (and the lack of GPS) are regrettable but tolerable for me in the end - IF there's a considerable step forward regarding the key points mentioned above. I'm a bit sceptical if there's significant progress as to noise at higher ISOs and DR given the considerably higher resolution of that crop sensor. With the 7D II I mostly tried to keep the ISO down to 800 at maximum and DR isn't a winner either. We will see a soon as unbiased reviews show up. If the 90D doesn't deliver here, I will skip it and keep my 7DII - maybe until a (semi)pro ML version will be released.

Wolfgang

by OntPhoto on Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:03 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I may have lost touch with the development of Canon dslr in the apsc line. My mindset is still back to 4 years ago where just about no aps-c cameras had the functionality to AF at f8. An f4 lens with a 2x teleconveter. Based on what I’m reading, cameras like the 80D and 90D can do that. Is this true? Ismit due to the faster processors?

by Mark Boranyak on Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:04 pm
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:I may have lost touch with the development of Canon dslr in the apsc line.  My mindset is still back to 4 years ago where just about no aps-c cameras had the functionality to AF at f8.  An f4 lens with a 2x teleconveter.  Based on what I’m reading, cameras like the 80D and 90D can do that.  Is this true?  Ismit due to the faster processors?
I have a 80D and it autofocuses quite nicely (using only the center point) with my Canon 100-400mm II and a Canon 1.4X tele-extender, at an effective F8.

by OntPhoto on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:13 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mark Boranyak wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:I may have lost touch with the development of Canon dslr in the apsc line.  My mindset is still back to 4 years ago where just about no aps-c cameras had the functionality to AF at f8.  An f4 lens with a 2x teleconveter.  Based on what I’m reading, cameras like the 80D and 90D can do that.  Is this true?  Ismit due to the faster processors?
I have a 80D and it autofocuses quite nicely (using only the center point) with my Canon 100-400mm II and a Canon 1.4X tele-extender, at an effective F8.
Thanks, you are right.  I did some research and the 80D actually has more than one such f/8 AF point.  Eye-opener for me.  Canon has come a long way from 4 years ago where you would not expect the X0D line (40D, 50D, etc.) of cameras to AF at f8.  

Knowing what the 90D has and my 7D MK2 still working just fine after 4 years, I'll see if any rumours come up in the next few months about a 7D MK3.  I'm also waiting to see a comparision (from an action photographer) between the 7D MK2 and 90D for AF tracking accuracy.  If it's really better than my current 7D MK2 and no 7D MK3 on the horizon, I'll consider getting a 90D.  I am so happy with the 7D MK2 and have no desire to upgrade unless for better AF. Although I have the money for a 1DX, can't justify spending thousands on a DSLR.  Lenses yes :-)

by Coreyhkh on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:11 pm
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
The 90D looks ok for 4 years ago, not sure about the sensor but its at least probably Superior to the crap thats in the 7Dmkii
-------------------------------------
http://www.coreyhayes.net

by OntPhoto on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:27 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Coreyhkh wrote:The 90D looks ok for 4 years ago, not sure about the sensor but its at least probably Superior to the crap thats in the 7Dmkii
Can you explain what exactly about the 7D MK2 sensor is "crap"?

by Gary Irwin on Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:00 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Coreyhkh wrote:The 90D looks ok for 4 years ago, not sure about the sensor but its at least probably Superior to the crap thats in the 7Dmkii
Because it's not made by Sony?  :mrgreen: 
Gary Likes Nature.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:09 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
OntPhoto wrote:
2008 sensor technology - the 1" sensors made today far outperform the 7D2 sensor.  It is seriously deficient in dynamic range and noise compared to something that uses technology from this decade.

We will see how this new 32mp sesnor compares and if canon has made any inroads in sensor design and performance - I hope they have.

by OntPhoto on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:50 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
2008 sensor technology - the 1" sensors made today far outperform the 7D2 sensor.  It is seriously deficient in dynamic range and noise compared to something that uses technology from this decade.

We will see how this new 32mp sesnor compares and if canon has made any inroads in sensor design and performance - I hope they have.
EJ wrote: "the 1" sensors made today far outperform the 7D2 sensor."   

Me: Covers ears.  No, no, no.  Wow, has sensor technology improved that much?  I'm waiting for the reviews of the 90D.  Although I am more than happy with the AF performance of the 7D MK2, if the 90D shows a significant improvement in the noise area, I may think about getting one.  Saves me from having to buy an expensive full-frame camera.  I do have the original Canon 6D.  Picked it up new for $1,000 CAD.  Also hoping the 90D is at least equal to the 7D MK2 in AF tracking.  I've been out of touch with the latest improvements ever since I bought the 7D MK2 so have a lot to catch up on.  

by OntPhoto on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:56 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I'll pass especially if more reviews come to a similar conclusion. From DP: "Default through-the finder autofocus is not very accurate". Seems like a greatly improved APS-C sensor but Canon had to find a way to dumb it down with the AF (thru the VF). Here's hoping for a new 7D Mk3 in 2020.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:23 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
OntPhoto wrote:I'll pass especially if more reviews come to a similar conclusion.  From DP:  "Default through-the finder autofocus is not very accurate".  Seems like a greatly improved APS-C sensor but Canon had to find a way to dumb it down with the AF (thru the VF).  Here's hoping for a new 7D Mk3 in 2020.
I seriously doubt that you will ever see another pro-grade APS-C DSLR from any manufacturer.

by WJaekel on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:15 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:I'll pass especially if more reviews come to a similar conclusion.  From DP:  "Default through-the finder autofocus is not very accurate".  Seems like a greatly improved APS-C sensor but Canon had to find a way to dumb it down with the AF (thru the VF).  Here's hoping for a new 7D Mk3 in 2020.
Yes, the accuracy of the AF through the finder, at least, seems to be disappointing if the results at dpreview are confirmed by other tests and serious users. I don't know if dpreview used face tracking for their bike test, though. Anyway, there's another review pointing in the same direction:  https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/revi ... erformance. On the other hand, I've seen several reports and images from users at Fredmiranda and other forums who are happy with the tracking AF for wildlife and BIF. And some sports shooters have posted positive feedbacks, too, i.e. http://ksimonian.com/Blog/2019/09/28/ca ... -steelers/ - though the AF has not been on the same level compared to his 1Dx, of course.
So I will wait until the dust has settled. I was planning to test the AF of the 90D vs my 7d2 on my recent birding trip to Austria but the CPS didn't sent me a loaner in time, unfortunately. I really was hoping for the 90D for more cropping latitude and improvements sensor-wise compared to my 7d2. So far, the 90D seems to be pretty good. But if the AF actually turns out to be inferior to the 7d2, I will skip the 90D, too, no matter that the accuracy of the AF seems to be pretty reliable in live view. Maybe Canon unfortunately has not changed much from the AF module of the 80D (which I don't have and cannot judge).

Several posters are still hoping for a 7d3 in 2020. But I'm more with E.J. here assuming that there probably will be no other pro APS-C DSLR anymore.

Wolfgang

by Neilyb on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:01 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
I seriously doubt that you will ever see another pro-grade APS-C DSLR from any manufacturer.
Canon never produced a pro-grade APS-C DSLR  :mrgreen:

by EGrav on Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:33 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Sure they did. 7DM2.

by Neilyb on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:54 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
EGrav wrote:Sure they did. 7DM2.

The image quality (IMO) was far from pro and don't get me started on the AF. I had two an neither was up to pro level. All IMO of course. ;) 

29 posts |