« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A new 24-70 f/2.8 Art lens has been announced for Sony E and Panasonic/Leica/Sigma L-mount.  It will be really nice to have serious competition for Sony G-Master lenses and perhaps get there pricing a bit under control.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/3212327713/new-sigma-24-70mm-f2-8-dg-dn-art-coming-to-e-and-l-mount

Note that this is not just the DSLR lens with an extended barrel like all of the prime lenses in the Art series for mirrorless but rather a native mirrorless design.  I am hopeful that this lens will be truly excellent as the weakest link in the Sony GM lens lineup is their 24-70 - it's a very very good lens but not a truly exceptional lens like all other GM lenses.  The new art lens is a couple of ounces lighter than the Sony GM version.  Both have 82mm threads as is now common on high end f/2.8 zooms in this range.  It is also about a half inch more compact in length than the GM.

Additionally some new Pro grade L-mount lenses from Panasonic including a 70-200 with claimed 7-stop IS and a 16-35 f/4 pro grade lens.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:00 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
More on Panasonic lenses here:

https://fstoppers.com/gear/panasonic-lu ... ced-424581

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/11/06/panasonic-has-two-new-lenses-and-new-firmware-for-the-s1-and-s1r/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jeff Pearl on Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:40 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
I thought I saw this listed for $1099.00 on B&H?  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1516303-REG/sigma_24_70mm_f_2_8_dg_dn.html

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jeff Pearl wrote:I thought I saw this listed for $1099.00 on B&H?  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1516303-REG/sigma_24_70mm_f_2_8_dg_dn.html
No price on your link as of November 14.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Price officially announced this morning at $1099 and shipping in first half of December.

From this morning's news release:

Key Features and Benefits of the 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN Art
The second newly-designed Art zoom lens from Sigma is a large-aperture standard zoom for full-frame mirrorless camera systems and will be available in Sony E-mount and L-mount. A completely new design for superior performance with mirrorless camera systems, the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 Art has several new features:
• Best-in-class optical performance. An 11-blade rounded diaphragm, six sheets of “F” low dispersion (FLD) glass and two sheets of special low dispersion (SLD) glass are employed to take advantage of the new optical formula developed specifically for mirrorless camera systems. Three aspheric lenses prevent aberrations such as axial chromatic aberration or sagittal coma aberrations resulting in uniformity and superior optical performance from the center to the periphery throughout the zoom range. In addition to Super Multi-Layer Coating, Sigma’s proprietary Nano Porous Coating is employed to achieve high-contrast and clear image quality. This lens is designed to be less affected by strong incident light such as flare.
• Ensuring compatibility with the latest full-frame mirrorless camera bodies. The Sigma 24–70mm F2.8 DG DN ensures compatibility with various types of the latest full-frame mirrorless camera bodies for Sony E-mount and L-mount, (including the new Sigma fp camera), capable of exerting the best performance under any photographic circumstances.
• Flexibility for various uses and photographic environments. Featuring a dust and splash-proof body and zoom lock mechanism for preventing the lens barrel from extending unexpectedly, the 24-70mm F2.8 meets a wide range of needs for a variety of photographic environments. The maximum magnifications are 1:2.9 at the wide-angle end and 1:4.5 at the telephoto end, which provides a wider range of expression for close-up photography. The minimum focusing distance is 18 cm at the wide-angle end.
Additional features:
• Zoom lock switch
• Lens hood with a lock
• Mount with dust- and splash-proof structure
• Compatible with the Lens Aberration Correction
• Available Mount conversion service
• Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
• Evaluation with Sigma’s own MTF measuring system: A1
• 11-blade rounded diaphragm
• High-precision, rugged brass bayonet mount
• “Made in Japan” craftsmanship
• Programmable AFL button on the lens barrel
The Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN Art will begin shipping in early December 2019 and will be available in L-mount and Sony E-mount through authorized US dealers for $1,099 USD.

by hullyjr on Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:45 am
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
That is a great price and little to complain about regarding the specifications. It weakens my resolve to stay with DSLRs....
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
hullyjr wrote:That is a great price and little to complain about regarding the specifications. It weakens my resolve to stay with DSLRs....
Yes, less than half the price of the Sony GM and smaller and lighter too.  If it perform at even 90% of the Sony, it's a great bargain and it might be better as the Sony 24-70 GM, while being an excellent lens, is not as good as the rest of the GM line which are all the top performer in their lens type.

by Jess Lee on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:20 pm
Jess Lee
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
hullyjr wrote:That is a great price and little to complain about regarding the specifications. It weakens my resolve to stay with DSLRs....
Yes, less than half the price of the Sony GM and smaller and lighter too.  If it perform at even 90% of the Sony, it's a great bargain and it might be better as the Sony 24-70 GM, while being an excellent lens, is not as good as the rest of the GM line which are all the top performer in their lens type.

That is very good to hear. I hope Sigma is aggressive in following up on redesigning their line of mirrorless lens and produce a replacement for the 70-200 E mount and more E and Z mount primes.  Maybe Sigma will help to move the Nikon Z production timeline and get Sony more serious about quality control and sample variation in their lenses.

Either way, we win!
Jess
Photos have a story to tell.
Photo Workshops

Western Images

by Jeff Pearl on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:15 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Jeff Pearl wrote:I thought I saw this listed for $1099.00 on B&H?  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1516303-REG/sigma_24_70mm_f_2_8_dg_dn.html
No price on your link as of November 14.
yes, I saw price, then it was removed. Now it's back. Maybe they jumped the gun disclosing price?

by Jeff Pearl on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:21 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Sounds interesting. I think I'll sell my Sony FE 4/24-105 G OSS and buy this lens.

10 posts |