Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Miqu on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:36 am
Miqu
Forum Contributor
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding a suitable replacement for my wife's aging Canon 5D mk1 that she inherited from her dad. The camera works fully and she has 2 lenses, a 28 - 100mm lense and a 400mm telephoto lens.
She has recently started taking photograph lessons to better understand all the settings on the camera, however is finding that she struggles with the size and weight of the camera and it lacks a number of modern features (through the viewfinder only, no movable screen etc).
My question is, what would be a decent replacement body, that can use the lenses she has. I realise that in its day, the 5D was a professional grade camera and seriously expensive... our budget won't get anywhere near the price of a 6D so it needs to be cheaper. I have been looking at the [font=Arial]https://cameravs.com/Nikon-Coolpix-B700[/font] but not really knowing much about cameras, plus I want this to be a present for my wife.
Recommendations gratefully received!
Thanks.

Last edited by Miqu on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Welcome to NSN!

If size and weight are your biggest concern, I would seriously consider the Canon SL3 (also called the Kiss X10 in Japan and EOS 250D in the rest of the world).

by ChrisRoss on Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:07 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
The 5D is 905gr and the the 250D is 449 gr , so a savings of about 460 gr or 1 lb in weight. The 250D is an APS-C camera, the crop factor gives you reach with the telephoto lens but with 28-100 you lose field of view, so the 28mm end becomes equivalent to 44mm focal length, so if your wife does wide angle work like landscapes your new camera would be less capable.

I would ask does your wife use the 400mm lens? It's a fairly specialized lens and the use would be bird photography and sports, if she does then the Canon Body may be a good solution but doesn't help a huge amount with size and weight.

If the 400mm lens does not see much use then a different path may be worth considering, An Olympus EM-10 III with the 14-42 kit lens(£574) or the E-PL9 with 14-42(£574) are very light and compact and not a great deal more than the 250D body. The Panasonic DMC-G7 with 14-42 is a little cheaper. Prices from Wexphoto UK you may get better deals on other sites. These are full featured little cameras and include fold-out screens - the type varies but all that info is available on the website -some just fold down others fold out. They use smaller sensors than the Canon APS-C camera bodies but are actually quite close in performance. They uses electronic viewfinders rather than optical ones as used in the Canon. The prices for quality lenses is much lower than many of the Canon equivalents if you wish to expand in the future.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Joel Eade on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:53 am
Joel Eade
Forum Contributor
To use those lenses you will need a Canon body with EF mount. Since the 5D has a full frame sensor I would suggest looking at options with a full frame sensor.
In that regard I would suggest perhaps you look at a used or refurbished 6D. Not on the cutting edge of technology but it will have more updated features compared to the original 5D and buying used saves a bunch.

by Kari Post on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:41 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
I'll just throw out a note that the size/weight of the camera body only influences the size/weight/comfort of the entire set-up so much, particularly where DSLRs are concerned. Especially with longer and faster lenses, the overall weight of the set-up is predominantly lens, not body, so a smaller body will only cut give you so much weight savings.

Where size/weight of the body can be more of a factor is 1) ergonomics and handling and 2) balance with lens. If the camera is too large for your wife to hold comfortably because she has small hands or the grip just doesn't work for her then I would consider a smaller body or possibly even a different form factor. If your wife is using longer/larger lenses often, she might find that a smaller body feels unbalanced and is more difficult to handle rather than easier.

When I'm using a super telephoto lens it is often more comfortable to have a pro-body with integrated vertical grip (1D series) than a smaller body (5D) series. Even though the overall setup is heavier its much easier to control because it's well balanced front to back.

I have a 5D Mark II still (as a third backup camera, probably time to let that one go) and it's ancient by technology standards. I'm sure your wife will love a newer camera body and be very appreciative of whatever you get her.

It would probably be a good idea to figure out what features your wife really likes (sounds like LCD live view and a tilt screen are on there) and help narrow down your options that way. Just like getting a new car, there are features you want and will really improve your experience and features that are nice but you may never use, so prioritizing what it is she likes about new technology and keeping in mind size and weight should help narrow down your search considerably.
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

5 posts |