« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 1 post | 
by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Venus Optics, maker of the highly respected Laowa series of lenses has introduced their first medium format lens utilizing Fuji's GFX mount.  It's a 17mm f/4 which is about 13.5mm f/3(DOF) equivalent in full frame terms.  It looks like it is the physical and permanent mating of their very good 12mm f/2.8 lens for full frame bodies and their medium format converter, a combination that I have been using with no problems.  The big difference is that this takes screw-in filters (86mm) where combining the 12mm f/2.8 + MFC does not...

https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-17mm-f-4-gfx-zero-d/ref/159/

My only issue with the Venus Optics lenses which all seem to be very good optically for the niche markets that they serve is that they are not chipped and do not communicate with the camera which means that there are no auto lens corrections in your RAW processing software, everything needs to be done manually.  I have built lens correction profiles for my 12mm+MFC (the equivalent of this lens), that I apply in Capture One and I have set up my GFX bodies so that it knows that when I attach a lens without electronic communication, that it's the "17mm f/4" (12mm/2.8 + MFC = 17mm/4) 

1 post |