First unread post  | 38 posts | 
by Mike in O on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:03 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
hullyjr wrote:
Richard B. wrote:
ricardo00 wrote:
Richard B. wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Hmm, a $1200 point and shoot...???
Hmm, from my point of view a $1200 competent camera easily carried in a motorcycle tank bag for very easy access. Sounds interesting.

Richard

Richard, Are you looking for a camera for distant shots or more for close range shots?  I bought the original RX100, then the RX100miii and
most recently the RX100mVA.  These RX100s are smaller, cheaper and more important, the lens is f/1.8-2.8 versus the f/2.8-4.5 of the m6/7.  However, it is only maximum 70mm versus the 200mm of the m6/7.  So if you are using this camera primarily for closer subjects, then the brighter lens would help compensate for the small sensor.

Ricardo00,

Thanks for that. Generally I think I would prefer to have the 200 mm range vs. 70 mm max. Sometimes I will use the camera while still sitting on the bike (engine off) for a shot from the side of the road. The additional zoom range would allow more framing options I think, not to mention the perspective of a longer lens. If I wanted to do more people shots or video blogging, I think I would favor the shorter zooms. But I'll look at the prior models. Thanks for that point.
Maybe wait for the Canon GX5 Mark II? They have essentially copied the Sony design with an arguably better spec'd lens, similar sensor but the big unknown will be its responsiveness. It certainly won't match Sony's whiz-bang focusing capabilities but it "fixes" two of my pet peeves with the RX100 series - a fully functional touch screen and a dedicated exp comp dial. But we all know that Canon giveth and taketh away so there will be something that will give you pause. I'm cautiously optimistic that this will replace my RX100m5.

Jim
Canon doesn't seem to be putting much effort with lenses on their P&S's.

by ricardo00 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 am
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
hullyjr wrote:
Richard B. wrote:
ricardo00 wrote:
Richard B. wrote:
Hmm, from my point of view a $1200 competent camera easily carried in a motorcycle tank bag for very easy access. Sounds interesting.

Richard

Richard, Are you looking for a camera for distant shots or more for close range shots?  I bought the original RX100, then the RX100miii and
most recently the RX100mVA.  These RX100s are smaller, cheaper and more important, the lens is f/1.8-2.8 versus the f/2.8-4.5 of the m6/7.  However, it is only maximum 70mm versus the 200mm of the m6/7.  So if you are using this camera primarily for closer subjects, then the brighter lens would help compensate for the small sensor.

Ricardo00,

Thanks for that. Generally I think I would prefer to have the 200 mm range vs. 70 mm max. Sometimes I will use the camera while still sitting on the bike (engine off) for a shot from the side of the road. The additional zoom range would allow more framing options I think, not to mention the perspective of a longer lens. If I wanted to do more people shots or video blogging, I think I would favor the shorter zooms. But I'll look at the prior models. Thanks for that point.
Maybe wait for the Canon GX5 Mark II? They have essentially copied the Sony design with an arguably better spec'd lens, similar sensor but the big unknown will be its responsiveness. It certainly won't match Sony's whiz-bang focusing capabilities but it "fixes" two of my pet peeves with the RX100 series - a fully functional touch screen and a dedicated exp comp dial. But we all know that Canon giveth and taketh away so there will be something that will give you pause. I'm cautiously optimistic that this will replace my RX100m5.

Jim
Canon doesn't seem to be putting much effort with lenses on their P&S's.
  Lumix (Panasonic) also has a bunch, with all ranges of lenses and sensor sizes.  For example, the Lumix LX100 II has the micro 4/3 sensor.
However to get a 200mm range, you need the smaller sensors to keep the size of the camera small.  The Lumix are cheaper but can't comment on whether they are better or not then the Sony's (have considered getting one but so far have stuck with the Sony).  I like the eye focusing ability of the Sony RX100s for photographing my grandkids.

by DChan on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:48 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Do You Need "That" To Be Better?
...Sony emphasizes vlogging in their press release and marketing materials. Here's how they want you to do that: add an external microphone, add a shooting grip, and buy a lot of batteries. Suddenly it isn't a shirt-pocket vlogging machine anymore (and wait, didn't Sony try this trick already with the RX0m2?). Not unless you have substantially bigger shirt pockets than I do....

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:38 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another article:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/00675 ... ed-to-know

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DChan on Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:40 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Basically the unique advantage - so far - that Sony's mirrorless system has over the competitors is its AF system.

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:10 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
DChan wrote:Basically the unique advantage - so far -  that Sony's mirrorless system has over the competitors is its AF system.

Considering how historically dreadful AF has been in those cameras, it's quite refreshing to see an alternative.

by Richard B. on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:14 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Don't want to end the discussion but I ended up finding a M III for short money. I'll play with that for a while. The camera / sensor certainly does not provide much bokeh even wide open at 1.8, but if I'm doing mostly scenics or landscapes that's not so much of an issue. I don't vlog, I will use this mostly as a still camera for now. If I want to carry it off the bike, it will easily fit in the m/c cargo pants pocket. Tres stylish!

Thanks for all the advice and information.

Richard

by ricardo00 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:57 am
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:Don't want to end the discussion but I ended up finding a M III for short money. I'll play with that for a while. The camera / sensor certainly does not provide much bokeh even wide open at 1.8, but if I'm doing mostly scenics or landscapes that's not so much of an issue. I don't vlog, I will use this mostly as a still camera for now. If I want to carry it off the bike, it will easily fit in the m/c cargo pants pocket. Tres stylish!

Thanks for all the advice and information.

Richard
  Congrats on your new Sony RX100!  One more advantage of this model over the newer M6/7 models is that you will increase your steps getting off your bike and walking to frame your shot :D .

by Richard B. on Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:07 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Richardo00,

Used the M III camera this evening for roadside sunset shooting (very original), and discovered a gremlin I don't like. The camera shuts down when I close the pop-up viewfinder and I have to press the power button to turn the darn thing back on. I looked but don't see a way to turn off this "feature". By any chance do you know of a way to change this function? I guess I just automatically push in the viewfinder when I am done using it and going back to viewing the rear screen. I can of course just leave the viewfinder up in it's on position as a work around. Appreciate any info you can give.

Richard

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Richard B.
You might try this:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3756631

Also, the instruction manual says that the when you move your eye away from the viewfinder, the viewing returns to the monitor.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:50 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Rx100 series comparison chart:

https://photographylife.com/sony-rx100- ... comparison

Joe

by ricardo00 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:30 am
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:Richardo00,

Used the M III camera this evening for roadside sunset shooting (very original), and discovered a gremlin I don't like. The camera shuts down when I close the pop-up viewfinder and I have to press the power button to turn the darn thing back on. I looked but don't see a way to turn off this "feature". By any chance do you know of a way to change this function? I guess I just automatically push in the viewfinder when I am done using it and going back to viewing the rear screen. I can of course just leave the viewfinder up in it's on position as a work around. Appreciate any info you can give.

Richard
  Sorry Richard, my "work around" is to leave it up.  As SanteFeJoe noted, when your eye is no longer near the viewfinder, it reverts to the screen.  So if I am occasionally using the viewfinder, I leave it up and not worry about it (since it takes two steps, pull up and out, to get the viewfinder to work, it is easier to leave it up if you are going between screen and viewfinder).  When I am putting it back in my pocket and push the viewfinder down, I am happy that it shuts off.  I have gotten used to it and actually think it makes sense, but I can see where it might bother you.  Hadn't heard about the work around of pushing the on-off button, so learned something new today!

by Richard B. on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:05 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
I can see the utility in the thing powering down when you want to put it back into into your pocket or wherever. Apparently you have an option on/off for that in newer models. And I hadn't noticed the automatic switch between eye finder and back screen, clever little machine. I appreciate all the suggestions. This site and the member knowledge is very helpful. Thanks everyone.

Richard

by Richard B. on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:34 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Using this M III a little, I think the feature that I wish i had is touch screen functionality. The form of the camera is so small that I have some difficulty easily accessing the dials. Especially moving the focus point about the image. However I am an old guy and have lost some dexterity in my digits. So that would argue to the VI or VII as my suggested purchase for anyone looking at this camera.

Richard

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:02 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another review:

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/0752284 ... vii-review

Joe

by sdaconsulting on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:54 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
Richard B. wrote:

Richard

If a small, portable camera is what you want, there're cheaper options - larger sensor size and more lens choices - out there.
The RX-100 series fits in most pants pockets.

I don't know of any camera with a bigger sensor that does that.
Matthew Cromer

by Neilyb on Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
My OMD EM-1 mk2 and 14-42 EZ fits nicely in my cargo pants, but that is only 28-84 equiv. However it make for an amazing walk around. I opted for this over a 1" type sensor as I find that sensor is great at ISO100 but beyond that you really are compromising. Fine for the 4K and 21shot pano stuff I do with the Mavic however. I do have the 12-100 (24-200) lens for the Oly and while also a fantastic walk around won't fit in my pants pocket without raising eyebrows ;)

The Sony does seem like a nice all rounder, but €1200? :o

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:59 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another review in addition to the video review linked to earlier from DPreview:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-c ... vii-review

Joe

38 posts |