All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 38 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:27 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Sounds impressive for a P&S:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6780284613/sony-reveals-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-vii-super-compact-with-90-fps-bursts-and-mic-socket

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-vii-review-in-progress

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/2998009495/sony-dsc-rx100-vii-sample-gallery

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Rocky Sharwell on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:36 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
I have an ancient II and my brother has the VI-both great cameras....
Rocky Sharwell

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Hmm, a $1200 point and shoot...???

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:09 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:Hmm, a $1200 point and shoot...???

The mark 6 is $1,800 Cdn, that's a crazy price unless it's something you absolutely need. I'd like it, but no way I'll pay that price.

by Richard B. on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:28 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
Hmm, from my point of view a $1200 competent camera easily carried in a motorcycle tank bag for very easy access. Sounds interesting.

Richard

by DChan on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:39 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:
Hmm, from my point of view a $1200 competent camera easily carried in a motorcycle tank bag for very easy access. Sounds interesting.

Richard

If a small, portable camera is what you want, there're cheaper options - larger sensor size and more lens choices - out there.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:02 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote: If a small, portable camera is what you want, there're cheaper options - larger sensor size and more lens choices - out there.
Name one with all the features this one has! Price isn’t everything. The RX-10 series are higher priced and very popular. The 1” sensor should be enough for many people, without having to carry separate lenses and the reach of this one is not bad, either. 

Joe

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Richard B. on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:03 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
DChan

Thank you for that. What would you suggest as a good option? Larger sensor would be of interest.

Richard

by DChan on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
DChan wrote: If a small, portable camera is what you want, there're cheaper options - larger sensor size and more lens choices - out there.
Name one with all the features this one has! Price isn’t everything. The RX-10 series are higher priced and very popular. The 1” sensor should be enough for many people, without having to carry separate lenses and the reach of this one is not bad, either. 

Joe

He's interested in a camera that fits a motorcycle tank bag. That suggests to me he simply wants a smaller camera to carry around. If so, there are cheaper options.

by DChan on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:13 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:DChan

Thank you for that. What would you suggest as a good option? Larger sensor would be of interest.

Richard

Take a look at Olympus.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:33 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:DChan

Richard
A Sony A6000/6300 series type camera is compact with a bigger sensor than the new Sony or any Olympus and you’ll get good AF too. 

by Richard B. on Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:12 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Thanks everyone for your comments. I will look at the suggested options. But a couple of considerations. Changeable lenses are out. Motorcycle tank bags aren't very big and have a bunch of stuff in them already, plus m/c's operate in dusty environments. Physically this thing is about the size of a pack of cards with a bump on the front for the contracted lens. That's a good fit. Auto focus is claimed to be from the a9 and a6400 with eye detection. I believe that should provide good auto focus, no? Not currently doing much in video, but this camera seems to be more than adequate in that department. Am I wrong? My main concern at this point would be the sensor. I'm old school and still do prints. I would like to think that this sensor would produce a good 11x14 print without a lot of noise, with all the other factors controlled. There have been a lot of improvements in noise reduction software lately, but I would like to hear from someone actually using the camera. But darn, these models become redundant every year when Sony brings out a new improved model. I have commitment phobia!

Richard

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:54 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
If compact size is the priority with good AF and IQ, then the little Sony is probably your best bet. The A6000 series of cameras aren’t much bigger but if a deck of cards is all the space you’ve got, then the new Sony is your best bet. If you keep the ISO low, I don’t think you’ll have an issue printing. Everyone has a different tolerance for noise and such, but with a 1” sensor, I don’t go higher than iso 400 if I can help it.

Last edited by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Primus on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:55 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Richard B. wrote:Thanks everyone for your comments. I will look at the suggested options. But a couple of considerations. Changeable lenses are out. Motorcycle tank bags aren't very big and have a bunch of stuff in them already, plus m/c's operate in dusty environments. Physically this thing is about the size of a pack of cards with a bump on the front for the contracted lens. That's a good fit. Auto focus is claimed to be from the a9 and a6400 with eye detection. I believe that should provide good auto focus, no? Not currently doing much in video, but this camera seems to be more than adequate in that department. Am I wrong? My main concern at this point would be the sensor. I'm old school and still do prints. I would like to think that this sensor would produce a good 11x14 print without a lot of noise, with all the other factors controlled. There have been a lot of improvements in noise reduction software lately, but I would like to hear from someone actually using the camera. But darn, these models become redundant every year when Sony brings out a new improved model. I have commitment phobia!

Richard

Heh heh, how true is that!

I bought one of these a few years ago, can't remember if it was MkII or MkIII, darn expensive it was even then. I believe DPReview gave it top marks at the time. I quite liked it and even printed 11X14, but for me the ISO was an issue and somehow the 1" sensor did not appeal to me that much. There was a lot of chromatic aberration and the  images were a bit too noisy for me (how spoilt we all are!). However, it did serve the purpose very well, which was a to have a well performing truly 'pocketable' camera. I remember taking it with me on a trip down to Texas and walking around with it in the front pocket of my jeans. You don't need a camera bag or a jacket to carry it. It was really that small a package. 

If the AF is as fast and the sensor as clean in this version as they say it is then it would be a good option if you are looking for a 'pocket rocket'. I don't have any idea of the competition at this price/performance level though.

Pradeep

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:27 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:...........But darn, these models become redundant every year when Sony brings out a new improved model. I have commitment phobia!

Richard
I say, life is short and by putting off purchases because a new model will come out before you know it, you lose precious time where you could be productive and have fun at the same time. My phone (Samsung S8) was purchased two years ago so, of course, two new models have come out with better features and other manufacturers are producing great cameras in their phones. Still, in the meanwhile, I have captured many images that I am really happy with and could not have taken with a DSLR that was not with me. A P&S like the Sony is handy and easy to carry, with many great features available over a smartphone and with a much higher quality imaging capability.

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:20 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thom’s take on this camera:

http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/do-you- ... to-be.html

Joe

by ricardo00 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 am
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:

Richard

Richard, Are you looking for a camera for distant shots or more for close range shots?  I bought the original RX100, then the RX100miii and
most recently the RX100mVA.  These RX100s are smaller, cheaper and more important, the lens is f/1.8-2.8 versus the f/2.8-4.5 of the m6/7.  However, it is only maximum 70mm versus the 200mm of the m6/7.  So if you are using this camera primarily for closer subjects, then the brighter lens would help compensate for the small sensor.

by Richard B. on Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:48 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
SantaFeJoe wrote:Thom’s take on this camera:

http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/do-you- ... to-be.html

Joe

Phew, glad I didn't mention my shirt pocket! Motorcycle pants have cargo pockets for when you are off the bike. I could fit a small dslr. Happy to hear that Thom uses the camera. Maybe I can find a "VI" model vs. the VII. Not doing much in video anyway and certainly not video or moto-blogging. Thanks for the heads up.

Richard

by Richard B. on Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:56 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
ricardo00 wrote:
Richard B. wrote:

Richard

Richard, Are you looking for a camera for distant shots or more for close range shots?  I bought the original RX100, then the RX100miii and
most recently the RX100mVA.  These RX100s are smaller, cheaper and more important, the lens is f/1.8-2.8 versus the f/2.8-4.5 of the m6/7.  However, it is only maximum 70mm versus the 200mm of the m6/7.  So if you are using this camera primarily for closer subjects, then the brighter lens would help compensate for the small sensor.

Ricardo00,

Thanks for that. Generally I think I would prefer to have the 200 mm range vs. 70 mm max. Sometimes I will use the camera while still sitting on the bike (engine off) for a shot from the side of the road. The additional zoom range would allow more framing options I think, not to mention the perspective of a longer lens. If I wanted to do more people shots or video blogging, I think I would favor the shorter zooms. But I'll look at the prior models. Thanks for that point.

by hullyjr on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:43 am
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:
ricardo00 wrote:
Richard B. wrote:

Richard

Ricardo00,

Thanks for that. Generally I think I would prefer to have the 200 mm range vs. 70 mm max. Sometimes I will use the camera while still sitting on the bike (engine off) for a shot from the side of the road. The additional zoom range would allow more framing options I think, not to mention the perspective of a longer lens. If I wanted to do more people shots or video blogging, I think I would favor the shorter zooms. But I'll look at the prior models. Thanks for that point.
Maybe wait for the Canon GX5 Mark II? They have essentially copied the Sony design with an arguably better spec'd lens, similar sensor but the big unknown will be its responsiveness. It certainly won't match Sony's whiz-bang focusing capabilities but it "fixes" two of my pet peeves with the RX100 series - a fully functional touch screen and a dedicated exp comp dial. But we all know that Canon giveth and taketh away so there will be something that will give you pause. I'm cautiously optimistic that this will replace my RX100m5.

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

38 posts |