Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 112 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:50 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
signgrap wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
signgrap wrote:Here's a link to DP Review initial review of the Sony a7R IV.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a ... t-compares

E.J. interested to hear your take on the DPR's review where you agree and disagree.
That's mostly just a preliminary review and I agree with virtually everything in it.  Aside from the higher resolution, for me the biggest things from an in the outdoors usability standpoint are being able to see the AF point easily in all situations, the handling improvements of the deeper grip and larger buttons, and the animal AF which actually works very well, even on seals.  I can't wait til they figure out how to make it work on birds.
You did leave out one thing; EVF improvements, was that an oversight or does it not live up to expectations.
With the above exception that confirms my thoughts after reading both reviews, yours and DPR's.
One thing that I noticed when looking at the sample shots, particularly at higher ISO's, in the DPReview sample gallery is that a number of them were taken a slower SS speeds than I would have used with a 135mm lens on a 42mp Sony let alone a 61mp camera. It seemed to my eyes that many images appeared to be bit soft due dependence on camera/lens stabilization that may not have been up to the task when pixel peeping. 
It is unfortunate that the new 61mp sensor does not get the same bump improvement at ISO 640 that the 42mp sensor enjoys.
At this point would you say that all things considered the improvements in the IV are worth the $3500 investment? Obviously everyone needs/uses are different so you can't speak for anyone else, this evaluation would be personal to you and the way you use the camera.  Or is it too soon to tell?
You must not have read it all ;)  From my earlier post:

"The EVF is the best currently available and the same as what is used in the newest Leica cameras, the Panasonic S1R and the Fujifilm GFX-100.  It gets us ever closer to an optical viewfinder experience with all of the information that makes EVFs so great.  It is not yet on the level with an optical viewfinder on the dynamic range front but a vast improvement over previous EVFs."

I wouldn't have purchased it if it weren't worth it to me but everyone must make their own value proposition.  The a7R III is not too fun to use with gloves, this one is much better.  Having a 26mp APS-C capability with much better AF also makes it a much better camera for wildlife than the previous model.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:50 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:
signgrap wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
signgrap wrote:Here's a link to DP Review initial review of the Sony a7R IV.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a ... t-compares

E.J. interested to hear your take on the DPR's review where you agree and disagree.
That's mostly just a preliminary review and I agree with virtually everything in it.  Aside from the higher resolution, for me the biggest things from an in the outdoors usability standpoint are being able to see the AF point easily in all situations, the handling improvements of the deeper grip and larger buttons, and the animal AF which actually works very well, even on seals.  I can't wait til they figure out how to make it work on birds.
You did leave out one thing; EVF improvements, was that an oversight or does it not live up to expectations.
With the above exception that confirms my thoughts after reading both reviews, yours and DPR's.
One thing that I noticed when looking at the sample shots, particularly at higher ISO's, in the DPReview sample gallery is that a number of them were taken a slower SS speeds than I would have used with a 135mm lens on a 42mp Sony let alone a 61mp camera. It seemed to my eyes that many images appeared to be bit soft due dependence on camera/lens stabilization that may not have been up to the task when pixel peeping. 
It is unfortunate that the new 61mp sensor does not get the same bump improvement at ISO 640 that the 42mp sensor enjoys.
At this point would you say that all things considered the improvements in the IV are worth the $3500 investment? Obviously everyone needs/uses are different so you can't speak for anyone else, this evaluation would be personal to you and the way you use the camera.  Or is it too soon to tell?
You must not have read it all ;)  From my earlier post:

"The EVF is the best currently available and the same as what is used in the newest Leica cameras, the Panasonic S1R and the Fujifilm GFX-100.  It gets us ever closer to an optical viewfinder experience with all of the information that makes EVFs so great.  It is not yet on the level with an optical viewfinder on the dynamic range front but a vast improvement over previous EVFs."

I wouldn't have purchased it if it weren't worth it to me but everyone must make their own value proposition.  The a7R III is not too fun to use with gloves, this one is much better.  Having a 26mp APS-C capability with much better AF also makes it a much better camera for wildlife than the previous model.
I read your newsletter on the A7R4. I was thinking about your comments re: the menu system and their lack of dealing with it. I've owned many Sony products over the years, and while I thought they were mostly well made, they all share lousy menu and UI. Usually, I can figure out how to do most things with anything electronic, but one Sony car stereo system I had, it was impossible to figure out without the manual.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:25 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another review:

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews ... _iv_review

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The a7R4 is a great camera and a true jack of all trades, master of many but like all cameras, there are still things that could be improved, as well as bugs, and just stupid design choices (almost all fixable in FW with a will to fix it).  I went through my criticisms of the a7R III in my super long review of it to see what has been fixed in the a7R4 from my list.  In short, some have been addressed but not many - here's the summary by item:

- Menu salad - not fixed and even more complex now due to new features
- Clear explanation when a function is not available - some improvement but there are still plenty of cases where a function is not available without explanation
- Lossless compressed RAW - not implemented
- FPS slows with uncompressed RAW - fixed
- Exposure compensation dial re-tasking not possible - not fixed resulting in a major camera control that is essentially useless for manual exposure shooters
- Faster than 1/8000s shutter speeds not possible in electronic shutter mode - not implemented, virtually every other mirrorless camera on the market has this
- Spacial filtering responsible for the internet overhyped “star eater” phenomenon - not fixed but also not a real problem unless you are doing documentary/scientific astrophotography.  For artistic astro photography this is a total non-issue and never has been an issue.  Internet Amplification Effect is turned up to 11 on this one.
- Only one slot is UHS II, if a card is also placed in the UHS I slot and RAWs are recorded to both, the camera slows way down - fixed, both slots are UHS II.  Buffer clearing is still slower than the competition.
- No EVF update or accurate AF tracking at maximum frame rate - at 10FPS, the EVF is not updated in real time, at 8FPS it is.  For action use 8FPS Hi mode, not the Hi+ mode.
- Lock on AF: flexible spot is not accurate - fixed, the whole AF system has been revamped, animal eye detect is amazing on mammals
- Many menu items are locked out while the camera is buffering - this is still an issue.  If the camera is buffering after a burst of photos, you have to wait for the buffering to be complete before many menu items can be accessed.  No other camera system does this, all Sony cameras do.
- Exposure warning way too conservative when shooting RAW - like every Sony camera with zebras set to 100+ you can go 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop into zebras before the RAW file will be affected.  The a7R4 is the same in this regard - at least it's consistent if not accurate (this is true for every digital camera I have ever used by the way - Nikon cameras with the Flat profile are by far the most accurate in this regard in the industry, Fuji is worst)
- Bright monitoring function does not allow the camera to be focused - not fixed.  With the bright monitoring option enabled it is great to compose a shot even in total darkness but as soon as you try to focus the camera either manually or with AF, the bright monitoring function turns off.  Fixing this one item would make this the easiest to use camera at night on the market.
- Play memory apps do not work - Sony no longer supports this in newer cameras but some of the most useful features, like time lapse and an intervalometer are now included in the normal menu structure.
- The eye point makes it difficult for eye-glass wearers to see the entire frame - on the a7R4 with the eye cup removed it is just barely possible to see the entire image without having to move the eye aroundif you weare glasses.  The EVF is dramatically improved.
- Touchscreen is pretty much useless except to roughly pick an AF point - the a7R4 is the same, simple things like menu and image navigation are not implemented.
- The included battery charger fully charged status is all lights off - this incredibly stupid design is still with us.  A full charge should never be no lights because you can mistake a dead outlet as a fully charged battery and vice versa.  Similarly when USB charging the camera, fully charged is status light off...
- If you last used an item on MyMenu and then took a photo and viewed the image on the rear screen via the playback button and then hit the Menu button again, the menu comes up on the Playback set-up page rather than the My Menu page that was last used - this was fixed in FW on the a7R3 and it is still fixed.
- In auto-exposure mode, the camera has the capability of allowing exposure compensation up to plus or minus 5 stops. As such the meter scale in the viewfinder goes to +5 and -5. However, when shooting in manual exposure mode, the scale still goes from +5 to -5 but the actual readings only go from +2 to -2. If you go beyond that, the meter does not go to +/-3 or +/-4, it just goes off scale beyond 2 - amazingly this incredibly stupid bug is still in the 4th generation of the a7R4
- No way to write the state of the camera to a memory card so that settings and set-up can be returned if service or camera reset is required - this is largely fixed and one can now write out the camera state to a card to be reloaded later but for some strange reason, the My menu set-up is not included so if you do have to reset your camera or have it serviced, My Menu will need to be set-up all over
- No calibration for the in-camera level is available. My a7R II was always off by 0.5 degrees - there still is no calibration but my a7R4 is accurate.
- WiFi set-up with iOS is buggy and temperamental - it seems to work much more reliably with the a7R4 but of course, like all other non-phone cameras, it's too cumbersome to use anyway so leaving it off to conserve battery life is probably the best way to go for the vast majority of shooters.  The app you have to use on your phone to communicate with the camera is a total cluster - whoever designed this should seriously consider a career in politics or something... just stay away from coding, forever!
- No focus stacking - still no focus stacking, the only manufacturer that doesn’t have it in any of their cameras
- No vibration delay shutter mode - still no automatic vibration delay shutter mode that uses the cameras motion sensor to determine when to take the shot.  I really miss this from my Phase One days.
- Can not select shutter speeds longer than 30 seconds - inexplicably Sony, Canon and Nikon continue to artificially cut off exposure time selection at 30 seconds, the rest of the world has moved on allowing as much as 1 hour shutter speed selection without needing to go to Bulb mode.
- No built in GPS - still no built in GPS but with what GPS positioning data combined with the internet is doing to the planet, this may be a good thing :)
- No fully articulating screen - the a7R4 screen is still just a tilt up or tilt down affair.  it is totally useless in vertical shooting as it does not tilt up or down in vertical mode.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:34 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I posted my a7R4 grievances last night :) Then this morning Tony Northrup posts this piece which covers much of the same ground - link below. The only one on his list that I don't find to be a major issue is the sensor dust thing. So much of sensor dust depends on little things like how you change lenses or never ever (and I mean ever) laying your camera down on it's back so that the sensor is pointing up as well as keeping the backside of your lenses clean. Over the years I have had as much or more problems with DSLRs from internal lubricants of the shutter and mirror getting on the sensor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azAqpMAvgNw

by Mike in O on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:08 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I posted my a7R4 grievances last night :)  Then this morning Tony Northrup posts this piece which covers much of the same ground - link below.  The only one on his list that I don't find to be a major issue is the sensor dust thing.  So much of sensor dust depends on little things like how you change lenses or never ever (and I mean ever) laying your camera down on it's back so that the sensor is pointing up as well as keeping the backside of your lenses clean.  Over the years I have had as much or more problems with DSLRs from internal lubricants of the shutter and mirror getting on the sensor...

Hard for me to watch with sound not synced with his mouth (filmed on Canon R). 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mike in O wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I posted my a7R4 grievances last night :)  Then this morning Tony Northrup posts this piece which covers much of the same ground - link below.  The only one on his list that I don't find to be a major issue is the sensor dust thing.  So much of sensor dust depends on little things like how you change lenses or never ever (and I mean ever) laying your camera down on it's back so that the sensor is pointing up as well as keeping the backside of your lenses clean.  Over the years I have had as much or more problems with DSLRs from internal lubricants of the shutter and mirror getting on the sensor...

It is perfectly synced here!!!

by Mike in O on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:26 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Mike in O wrote:

It is perfectly synced here!!!

Anybody here have an idea on how to cure the syncing problem?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It usually means that there is a bandwidth issue. Try clicking on the little gear in the lower right of the video and selecting the next resolution down.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:07 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mike
Google this phrase and plenty comes up:

“youtube video not synched“

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:40 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I switched to different audio settings and back, that seemed cure the syching problem for the time being. Thanks EJ & Joe.

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:43 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
It will be interesting to know how EJ compares his fuji to the sony for scenics. Fuji less megapixels but larger sensor.

112 posts |