« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Greg Downing on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:45 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Hey everybody. I'm going to be doing a project that is going to take 1 to 1 1/2 years and I want to do a time lapse of the entire transformation over that period of time from the exact same position (or maybe two positions). My plan is to install a metal post in concrete in the ground to mount the camera on so that the position doesn't change but my question is how to go about doing the actual images and what camera to use? I'm thinking probably a go pro would be best but how do I manage all the images and how often the shots are taken and that sort of thing?  I've done lots of time lapses but none this long :D I don't currently have a go pro and it might make more sense to use a less expensive camera? But either way still the question is how to manage the images, how often to take the pictures etc. It may be close enough to be able to automatically send the pictures wirelessly to my network so that I don't have to keep pulling a cart out.

Any ideas or advice for such a project? For what it's worth it's a construction project. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:48 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Will make this short because I cannot help with technique and am most interested in reading other's technique suggestions.  I do have the GoPro 4 Silver.  Sent the Black 4 back because I found I wanted the control of the Silver's touch LCD screen.  For me, the LCD made the menu much more user-friendly.

Googled "using GoPro 4 with intervalometer" :  

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=us ... rvalometer

My GoPro goes through batteries quite rapidly, but that is at 1080 30fps (as I recall) and have yet to shoot stills exclusively.

Input here on project technique should be very interesting.  

Robert King

http://itsaboutnature.smugmug.com

by bender16v on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:22 am
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
I don't have any ideas, but recently I listened to this interview with Michael E. Stern who specializes in construction time lapse photography. He talks about technique and equipment so it may be helpful.
-Chris Harrison

by lelouarn on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:44 am
lelouarn
Forum Contributor
What about wildlife cameras ? They are weather sealed, have integrated intervalometers. Not sure if their image quality is good enough though...

by PV Hiker on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:22 am
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
Greg Google "Chasing Ice". It was a documentry about the shrinking glaciers.  He spoke at a nanpa convention showing how it was all set up.  I think used was canon 5 d? In a weather proof case with solar panel.  This might help you get started.

https://www.google.com/search?q=glacier ... ent=safari
Patrick

by stevenmajor on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:58 pm
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Construction sites are notorious for things going missing. The metal post will permit you to precisely replace the camera if you need to, wireless download should quickly let you know if you have to.
Good Luck

by OntPhoto on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:05 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Go to Amazon and search for Brinno.  Some of the Brinno models can be used for construction time lapse and have weather-proof housing.  Depending on the time-lapse interval and batteries used, I understand they can last for a long time.  Check out the user reviews on Amazon.  I own 2 Brinno cameras but use them for home security and surveillance purposes.  Some models like the door-viewer type does not have good image quality but its purpose is to only record anyone that comes to your door and works on motion activation.  Other models I hear have much better image quality.  The time lapse images in these higher-end models (I do have one) are automatically stitched via the camera software (in-camera) so it plays back like a video.  

by crw816 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:21 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:Go to Amazon and search for Brinno.  Some of the Brinno models can be used for construction time lapse and have weather-proof housing.  Depending on the time-lapse interval and batteries used, I understand they can last for a long time.  Check out the user reviews on Amazon.  I own 2 Brinno cameras but use them for home security and surveillance purposes.  Some models like the door-viewer type does not have good image quality but its purpose is to only record anyone that comes to your door and works on motion activation.  Other models I hear have much better image quality.  The time lapse images in these higher-end models (I do have one) are automatically stitched via the camera software (in-camera) so it plays back like a video.  
I have three Brinno time lapse cameras that I used when I built my sugarhouse.  They served the purpose and were super easy to set up and use, and came with weatherproof cases etc....  The only downside is that they did not give me the image wuality I was used to, but for documenting and sharing the process they worked really well.  I looked into the gopro as the image quality is better but it would take some customizing to get a setup where the battery would last for a week or two unattended.  If you are interested in going this route, I would be happy to send you a sample clip from one of my days of shooting.  Just PM me. 
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by Steve Fines on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:54 pm
Steve Fines
Lifetime Member
Member #:00984
GoPro's are pretty easy to do this with. The time lapse menu will let you set the photo frequency. It will also tell you how many photos will fit on a card. They have wireless transfer to various devices, but this will eat up your battery.

They have nice waterproof cases, so no worries there.

Power is an issue. You'd have to see how long a GoPro battery lasted taking a pic a day. I'm not sure. Another option would be to drill a hole in the case, snake in the AC adapter cord and then seal it with a hot glue gun or something similar if you'll have power access.

That being said this will give you a fisheye image. A nicer waterproof camera might be a choice depending on how important IQ was.

Use a type of camera where you can quickly go out and buy a backup when the first one fails.

The solar panel above is a good idea if it will be left alone for long periods.

by Coreyhkh on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:58 pm
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
Will this be setup in a safe location? I am interested in what you want to shoot.
-------------------------------------
http://www.coreyhayes.net

by OntPhoto on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:51 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:I own 2 Brinno cameras but use them for home security and surveillance purposes.  Some models like the door-viewer type does not have good image quality but its purpose is to only record anyone that comes to your door and works on motion activation.  
Trail cams are way better for security surveillance than the Brinno.  Has day and night mode.  The video quality is great (for this use -- it's pretty darn good) and the motion sensor works really well.  The battery lasts for a long time.  Maybe a few months depending on how often it is triggered and length of video.  Water-proof too, I think. I like the Browning Dark Ops models. 

11 posts |