NatureScapes.net Forums
https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/

Sigma announces 3 lenses for Sony FE and L-mount Alliance
https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=284298
Page 1 of 1

Author:  E.J. Peiker [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:59 am ]
Post subject:  Sigma announces 3 lenses for Sony FE and L-mount Alliance

Some serious glass here:
35mm f/1,2 Art
14-24mm f/2.8 Art

and a consumer "normal" lens:
45mm f/2.8

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/sigma-develops-trio-of-lenses-designed-for-full-frame-mirrorless-cameras

Author:  Scott Fairbairn [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 am ]
Post subject: 

That 14-24 interests me for astro work. They specifically mention it's ideal for astrophotography, which should mean no coma.

Author:  E.J. Peiker [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

Scott Fairbairn wrote:
That 14-24 interests me for astro work. They specifically mention it's ideal for astrophotography, which should mean no coma.


Their 14mm f/1.8 is great for that and 1 1/3 stops faster...

Author:  Scott Fairbairn [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Re:

E.J. Peiker wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
That 14-24 interests me for astro work. They specifically mention it's ideal for astrophotography, which should mean no coma.


Their 14mm f/1.8 is great for that and 1 1/3 stops faster...




Doesn't it suffer from coma in the edges on full frame?

Author:  E.J. Peiker [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:06 am ]
Post subject: 

What super wide lens doesn't?  They all do at least to some extent.  I think it is a vastly overblown thing for virtually all artistic uses.  It's certainly a much smaller issue than the other totally overblown thing, the Sony star-eater effect.  Neither matter one bit for anything but scientific documentary photography.  That said, it's better than any zoom I've ever seen and having 1.3 stops extra allows you to either get shorter exposures, lower noise for the same exposure (aperture and exposure time), or stop down 1 1/3 stops for image quality...

Author:  Scott Fairbairn [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

E.J. Peiker wrote:
What super wide lens doesn't?  They all do at least to some extent.  I think it is a vastly overblown thing for virtually all artistic uses.  It's certainly a much smaller issue than the other totally overblown thing, the Sony star-eater effect.  Neither matter one bit for anything but scientific documentary photography.  That said, it's better than any zoom I've ever seen and having 1.3 stops extra allows you to either get shorter exposures, lower noise for the same exposure (aperture and exposure time), or stop down 1 1/3 stops for image quality...




I agree. I've never used a camera lens that doesn't have it or color halos. That's what I was wondering about the 14-24mm since they specifically mention it's an ideal astro lens. The f1.8 would be awesome though.

Author:  Jess Lee [ Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Re:

Scott Fairbairn wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
What super wide lens doesn't?  They all do at least to some extent.  I think it is a vastly overblown thing for virtually all artistic uses.  It's certainly a much smaller issue than the other totally overblown thing, the Sony star-eater effect.  Neither matter one bit for anything but scientific documentary photography.  That said, it's better than any zoom I've ever seen and having 1.3 stops extra allows you to either get shorter exposures, lower noise for the same exposure (aperture and exposure time), or stop down 1 1/3 stops for image quality...




I agree. I've never used a camera lens that doesn't have it or color halos. That's what I was wondering about the 14-24mm since they specifically mention it's an ideal astro lens. The f1.8 would be awesome though.



I have used the Sigma 14 f1.8 for aurora and Milky Way since its introduction and is is very good, but there are many newer products that will raise the bar. Some of the Nikon Z mount lens are exceptional. The Lawoa lenses are very good also. I was impressed with the 12mm f2.8 in the f mount and their new 15 mm f2 I tested for a couple of months this spring. All of the new lenses coming out with better designs allowed by mirrorless make it an exciting and expensive time for those of us who enjoy photographing the night sky. I am looking forward to the real world test on some of these.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
//www.phpbb.com/