Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 
by Swissblad on Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:12 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Amazon had 1 available, so I bought it. 
  Have fun - looking forward to 1st photos   ;)

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:56 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
E.J. Peiker wrote:I don't know when they were made.  Didn't think Circuit City was even in business - they closed all their stores years ago.  It probably isn't the OS failing, it probably just means that the lens needs the FW update which I talked about above.  If it doesn't AF on your camera when you get it, it also means that it needs the FW.  Like I said it's an easy fix and it is a truly great lens.

I only shoot wildlife with Nikon these days due to their 500PF, everything else is done either with Sony (travel) or Fuji Medium format (landscapes)
Update:

Got the lens-it is the OS version. I think it is the earlier version that is discontinued. Four year warranty! (Yes, Circuit City is still there and a Sigma authorized dealer, though I may have bought the last 150 macro on the market!).  Definitely will autofocus. Makes an odd little clunk after releasing shutter button-don't know what that is-doesn't bother me...yet. (Have only had it 1 day). So far- love it!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:24 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The clunk is the OSS. Turn the OSS off and there shouldn't be a clunk. it's normal.

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 pm
Cynthia Crawford
E.J. Peiker wrote:The clunk is the OSS.  Turn the OSS off and there shouldn't be a clunk.  it's normal.
Thanks EJ. You are an amazing source of information for all things camera and lens!! (And much more). We should have an EJ appreciation day here at NSN. :D
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:33 am
Cynthia Crawford
I'm liking this lens, but it sure is noisy. Turned off the OSS and it still rattles and whirrs. Even when the camera is turned off, it sounds like something is loose in there if moved around . It also hunts quite a bit at times (probably operator error....). It looks like this lens is going to be discontinued-the earlier version is, and no one seems to have this lens for Nikon-I hope I wasn't too hasty with my purchase. I trust Sigma will honor the 4 year warranty, but in the light of recent discussions here on repair of older lenses, I wonder if they will still have parts for it. I also wonder how old the lens is that I purchased-I am not seeing how to determine that via serial number. That said, image quality, when it works, is very pleasing. I have nothing to compare it with, being my first macro lens, but it seems pretty sharp, and the OS helps a lot with hand-held, which is my usual mode on operation. It's easy to carry around in the woods when I go for walks. Not really regretting this purchase, just a little uneasy.....

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:55 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Cynthia Crawford wrote:I'm liking this lens, but it sure is noisy. Turned off the OSS and it still rattles and whirrs. Even when the camera is turned off, it sounds like something is loose in there if moved around .  It also hunts quite a bit at times (probably operator error....).  It looks like this lens is going to be discontinued-the earlier version is, and no one seems to have this lens for Nikon-I hope I wasn't too hasty with my purchase. I trust Sigma will honor the 4 year warranty, but in the light of recent discussions here on repair of older lenses, I wonder if they will still have parts for it.  I also wonder how old the lens is that I purchased-I am not seeing how to determine that via serial number. That said, image quality, when it works, is very pleasing. I have nothing to compare it with, being my first macro lens, but it seems pretty sharp, and the OS helps  a lot with hand-held, which is my usual mode on operation. It's easy to carry around in the woods when I go for walks. Not really regretting this purchase, just a little uneasy.....
That doesn't seem right.  I don't recall this lens making any noise when OSS is off.  Sigma USA is very good and fast so you might have them take a look at it under warranty.  Normally I'd say return it and get another one but it sounds like they are hard to find now.

by Mike in O on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:17 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I just tested mine which is a apo macro DG hsm EX with my 99II and lens stabilizer on. It makes a noise (very slight) when pushing AF on but otherwise is silent. I would agree with EJ that your noise is an anomaly.

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:50 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Ok, I'll call Sigma and see what they say. Thanks.

28 posts |