Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by rene on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:13 am
rene
Forum Contributor
i used to have one of the MP backpacks but I’m due to replace it as I really don’t like the design.I have been going backward and forward on the choice and as I need to take it with me as handheld luggage I have narrowed it down to the Thinktank Accelerator and Mindshift backlight and firstlight ( the largest versions). I was hoping to hear from any users or recommendations which one to go for or are there any alternatives I have missed? Longest lenses that I will take with me are the Nikon 500PF and ...when it arrives....the Sony 200-600
Many thanks
Rene de Heer 

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I have the all but the largest version of Backlight and they are my favorite backpacks I've ever had, for what it's worth :)

by Phil Shaw on Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:45 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
I bought the Backlight 36L for a trip to Japan in 2018. Even at the airport I knew it wasn't going to work out. The base of the pack kept pushing my trousers down. When I got to Tokyo I went to Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku and bought a messenger-type bag to get me through the trip - mainly urban and cultural photography.

After much research and bag viewing at the UK Photography Show in March, I bought a Tenba Axis Backpack for my recent trip to China. This was better in the trouser department but had some issues with rain soaking in through the back panel into the laptop compartment - you can see more of my comments on this bag on Fstoppers.

I'm still using my Gura Gear Backpack for most of my trips. It still works for me as a travel backpack and it is fine to work out of if you are in a vehicle or a hide/blind. It doesn't really work though if you are doing stuff in an urban setting but that's not what it was designed for.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by bradmangas on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:23 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I was in the same boat a few months ago. In the last few years a bunch of companies have sprung up selling "the new greatest camera backpack". What I've noticed is that they look to making a pretty penny on the camera craze. Some of these new brands of backpack can go up to $400! What do you actually get for that premium price. Many times just the new name.

After much research and comparisons it became clear to me the Lowepro ProTactic BP 450 AW II  was a much more versatile camera backpack plus, is over $150 less (with the current rebate) than something like a Backlight Elite. The Lowepro some very innovative design feature that lets you add modular exterior attachment nearly anywhere on the bag and has and convertible waist belt that removes and can be used as just a belt to attach the same module accessories and worn as a utility belt. It is worth looking into.

I may be partial to Lowepro since I have owned one for over 12 years. I don't think you can wear these things out. There is literally nothing wrong with it after years of constant use. I just out grew my old one and needed something bigger. It may be the last camera backpack I will every have to buy. I just can't imagine paying $400 for a backpack.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:59 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
bradmangas wrote:............In the last few years a bunch of companies have sprung up selling "the new greatest camera backpack". What I've noticed is that they look to making a pretty penny on the camera craze. Some of these new brands of backpack can go up to $400! What do you actually get for that premium price. Many times just the new name..........
Just an example of how crazy photographers are regarding camera bags, this Kickstarter campaign raised $250,000 in just 24 hours:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8601714863/wandrd-duo-daypack-camera-backpack-over-250k-in-funding-in-24-hours

It was fully funded in thirty minutes:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wandrd/duo-daily-carry-for-commuters-photographers-and-travelers/posts/2536337

At last check, that figure was $307,950! Their goal was only $25,000.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wandrd/duo-daily-carry-for-commuters-photographers-and-travelers

Update: Now up to $315,427 in only a couple more hours!

And five hours later, $318,227!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Phil Shaw on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:46 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
bradmangas wrote: After much research and comparisons it became clear to me the Lowepro ProTactic BP 450 AW II  was a much more versatile camera backpack plus, is over $150 less (with the current rebate) than something like a Backlight Elite. The Lowepro some very innovative design feature that lets you add modular exterior attachment nearly anywhere on the bag and has and convertible waist belt that removes and can be used as just a belt to attach the same module accessories and worn as a utility belt. It is worth looking into.
In my recent research I thought the Tenba Axis pack was going to be better than the Lowepro ProTactic bag, which was my second choice. After my experience with the Tenba pack though, I am probably going to get the ProTactic bag before my next trip.  The issue that relegated the Lowepro to second choice was the (overly) thick padding that they use inside their bags.

I agree with you entirely about the plethora of new designer bag companies that have appeared in recent times.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

6 posts |