All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by signgrap on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:34 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
My Sony HVL-F60M flash appears to have shorted. At first the video LED lights would come on without being turned on. Then the infrared light would come on even when the unit was first turned off. This sort of odd behavior would come and go over a period of 5 months of intermittent use. Yesterday I put freshly charged batteries (which are new) half an hour later I turned the flash on and the batteries were dead. 
OK so I need to get the flash repaired (providing the repair doesn't cost to much). After E.J.'s recent Sony repair experience where is a good place to send it?
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The only authorized Sony repair facility is Precision Camera Works. You schedule the repair through the Sony website or Precision's site. If it is a warranty epair, this is your only option.

However, there is a repair facility where I live that has an excellent reputation for repairing flash units and they do advertise Sony as one of the brands. Many people use these guys for out of warranty repair:
https://www.criscam.com/capture

by signgrap on Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:10 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Thanks E.J. this flash is years out of warranty. So I think I'll send it to CRIS Cam. The flash was purchased (actually for free with a Sony bundle) in April of 2014 when I got my first Sony a7R. I have no idea where I should draw the line on fixing the flash how much is too much? - it is still Sony's top flash and lists for $598
Dick Ludwig

by signgrap on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Follow up. CRIS Cam emailed that the problem was an outdated firmware which needed to be updated by Sony (firmware could not be updated by CRIS). The cost was $55. I called CRIS and asked what was the likelihood that the updated firmware would fix the problem they said more than 95% chance of success. So I approved the repair plus $22 shipping costs. I received the flash back about 2-1/2 weeks ago and have been using the flash since then. The batteries have held their charge and the flash has worked flawlessly. The flash when I bought it in 2014 was a brand new model so this might explain why it needed a firmware update. Very satisfied with CRIS Cam.
Dick Ludwig

by Phil Shaw on Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
If its not under warranty don't bother getting it repaired. Just get a new Godox. The Godox (or US equivalent) V1-S-TTL is excellent, as is the V860ii. I also have the AD200 Pro and this is a game changer if you are using flash outdoors.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

5 posts |