All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Fri May 17, 2019 4:30 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Several Sony updates to improve stability:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2184303346/sony-pushes-firmware-updates-for-eight-of-its-cameras-to-improve-overall-stability

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by neubigod on Mon May 20, 2019 1:05 pm
neubigod
Forum Contributor

Thanks for the notification but I've tried two different macs with 10.14.4 and different cables to install the 3.01 and 5.01 updates in my A7riii and A9 and cannot get the software update to open after asking me to connect the camera (SD files show on the computer so it is obviously connected) AND looking for the security override (doesn't show up on the system preferences as described on Sony's site).  This has happened several times before and is infuriating.  But perhaps I am ignoring a simple step...anyone?

by mortsgah on Mon May 20, 2019 1:37 pm
mortsgah
Forum Contributor
I did the update on PC, so my experience may be real different as compared to a MAC. But I found that after starting the updater, then connecting the camera and ensuring USB mass media mode was active and finally turning on the camera (as per the instructions), it took minutes (like almost 3-5) before the software showed that the installation was ready to proceed to next step. During that time, there is no indication (spinning wheel, hourglass, etc) that anything is happening. But by simply waiting, the install did eventually begin to proceed.

So you might follow the steps up to the point where it appears nothing is happening and go get a cup of coffee and come back.

Just my experience on a PC for what its worth.
erik
http://www.erikhagstrom.com

by neubigod on Mon May 20, 2019 3:08 pm
neubigod
Forum Contributor
IJmortsgahI did the update on PC, so my experience may be real different as compared to a MAC. But I found that after starting the updater, then connecting the camera and ensuring USB mass media mode was active and finally turning on the camera (as per the instructions), it took minutes (like almost 3-5) before the software showed that the installation was ready to proceed to next step. During that time, there is no indication (spinning wheel, hourglass, etc) that anything is happening. But by simply waiting, the install did eventually begin to proceed.

So you might follow the steps up to the point where it appears nothing is happening and go get a cup of coffee and come back.

Just my experience on a PC for what its worth.

Thanks for the info.  I’ll try it and see if it works.  But it is comforting to know it isn’t just a mac thing and everyone is having to deal with this

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 20, 2019 4:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
In general with Sony cameras, if you have access to a Windows machine, your experience is less likely to be a bad one when updating Sony FW.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
No problems at all.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
archfotos wrote:Thank you for the insight I appreciate it.

I went ahead and updated using a Mac 10.14 with only minor problems.  As a Mac user I had been avoiding the "Sony" experience.  Still not sure why Sony needs to upload software onto my computer.  Other than that I was able to update without much of a hitch.

thanks again

jeff
Yeah, Sony has by far the most messed up procedure for updating FW of any camera manufacturer.  In a world of wifi connected cameras, cameras should not require a computer at all.  Just connect to your network and let the update begin...

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:14 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:
archfotos wrote:Thank you for the insight I appreciate it.

I went ahead and updated using a Mac 10.14 with only minor problems.  As a Mac user I had been avoiding the "Sony" experience.  Still not sure why Sony needs to upload software onto my computer.  Other than that I was able to update without much of a hitch.

thanks again

jeff
Yeah, Sony has by far the most messed up procedure for updating FW of any camera manufacturer.  In a world of wifi connected cameras, cameras should not require a computer at all.  Just connect to your network and let the update begin...
Olympus does it the same as Sony, although I don't find it as annoying. 

8 posts |