Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by CBoylston on Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:52 pm
CBoylston
Forum Contributor
Does anybody here use a camera trap?  What kind do you have?  

I have a Foxelli one that I got off Amazon for like $50, and it doesn't work that great.  It seems to stop triggering randomly.  I recently had it set up for a week with the sensitivity way to high, so it was firing at trees moving.  It did this constantly for a few hours then stopped, and didn't for for the rest of the week, with 9GB left on the card.  

I am looking for a better one that will work more consistently.  I don't need super high quality video, as I am only using it to figure out where I want to shoot and to see what's there.  

by NNL33543 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:16 pm
NNL33543
Forum Contributor
Go to Joe Macdonald’s website Hoothollow. He has written an excellent book on the subject.

by whitehead on Sat May 18, 2019 9:21 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
I use them extensively (for research) - in tropical forests we dont really have that much of an alternative than to use them because of the cryptic nature of our wildlife and forest cover . The smaller units are all a little hit and miss and brands which used to be the best have gone backwards in some cases.

The Browning is probably the best image quality/price combo (its stills and vid are great quality actually, better than the bushnells right now).

They will last much longer of you get a metal cover and securue a rain hat (make yourself) to them. Also if you can get silica gel into the batt compartmnet it lengthens their life.

3 posts |