Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by rhighercat on Wed May 15, 2019 4:23 pm
rhighercat
Forum Contributor
I bought a new SD card Lexar SDxc and used it in my 7DII but couldn't download images into my desktop. I use breeze browser with a card reader (an old one), but the card wasn't recognized by the computer. I tried downloading it directly from the camera, but it just freezes. I can see the images and the video on the LCD of camera. Does anyone have suggestions about how to download it? do I need a different downloading software or any other ways of saving info from the card?

by Jeff Pearl on Wed May 15, 2019 5:37 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
I get that sometimes ( with an older Dynex card reader). If you have the little slide button on side of card, slide it up and down a couple times. Also, just unplug the card reader, then plug it back in. rebooting computer also helps sometimes.

Last edited by Jeff Pearl on Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 16, 2019 5:31 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Please specify the exact card and the exact reader you are using.

by peter makuch on Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am
peter makuch
Forum Contributor
Member #:02075
I HOPE THAT YOU REFORMATTED THE CARD BEFORE USING IT, WITH YOUR CAMERA BODY !!!!

by goldingd on Thu May 16, 2019 5:31 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
So a SDXC II card in SDXC I reader? Well, actually UHS II vs UHS I. Supposedly backwards compatible, but perhaps you need a new reader? Not very expensive vs not recovering the images.

And, do you have other images on another card, perhaps older, as so to test your reader?

by rhighercat on Thu May 16, 2019 9:10 pm
rhighercat
Forum Contributor
Thanks for all the responses. The card is Lexar SDXC V60 II 64gb 1000x. I used an old Lexar card reader compatible with USB 2 port. I have ordered a new card reader with USB 3 port, thinking the old card reader may not be compatible with the new SD card. I was able to download images from a CF card with the same card reader. This is also the first time I have used an SD card.

I forgot to format the card in the camera before using it. But I have used CF cards without formatting. I have also used new CF cards with the old reader without problems.

I tried sliding the lock button up and down. Didn't work. Rebooting the computer didn't work either.

What was surprising was that I couldn't download it directly from the camera either. The Canon program kept freezing.

I have sent an email to Lexar, they asked me to try to download it to a different computer. if that doesn't work, they'll send a program for recovery. I will try downloading to a different computer tomorrow.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 16, 2019 9:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It is likely that the old card reader, being a USB 2 model is only compatible up to SDHC cards, not SDXC cards.

by rhighercat on Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 pm
rhighercat
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It is likely that the old card reader, being a USB 2 model is only compatible up to SDHC cards, not SDXC cards.

Thanks. I should be getting the new card reader next week. I will try it again. 

by rhighercat on Sun May 19, 2019 2:49 pm
rhighercat
Forum Contributor
Thanks for all suggestions. Problem solved. It was the card reader. I got a new USB 3 card reader that read the card and I was able to download images. Thanks E.J.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 19, 2019 7:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes when you said it was a USB 2 reader, odds were pretty high that it was not SDXC compatible.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun May 19, 2019 7:29 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yes when you said it was a USB 2 reader, odds were pretty high that it was not SDXC compatible.
Why would the card not download directly from the camera when connected? That doesn’t seem to add up if it was connected directly to the computer unless the camera is an older version. It did write the images to the card.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 19, 2019 7:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yes when you said it was a USB 2 reader, odds were pretty high that it was not SDXC compatible.
Why would the card not download directly from the camera when connected? That doesn’t seem to add up if it was connected directly to the computer unless the camera is an older version. It did write the images to the card.

Joe
Totally different and unrelated issue that is confusing the trouble shooting IMHO.  Likely a driver issue or a camera set-up issue.  For example, Fuji cameras require you to do something special in the camera set-up that is totally obscure to allow the camera to be a card reader when attached - not all cameras are created equal in this regard.

by rhighercat on Sun May 19, 2019 10:25 pm
rhighercat
Forum Contributor
I think it is a camera set up issue. I tried to download from the camera again with the same problem - freezing. After reading through the software manual, I found out that the canon software was trying to download into the default disk drive, the system drive (Drive C) that didn't have enough memory, There was about 30gb of memory left in that disk, while I was trying to download a 64 gb card that was full. so the canon software kept freezing. I had set up with the card reader with Breezebrowser to download into a different data drive. I didn't know about the setup because I hadn't downloaded directly from the camera before. I also talked to Lexar service person about the issue. he didn't catch the problem that it was an incompatible card reader. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Ravi

13 posts |