« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 23 posts | 
by DChan on Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:02 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:Well I have used it over the weekend to record my daughter and friends camping and (mostly) swimming in the lake. Coupled with the 40-150 it is a complete dream to use. The AF is pretty much instant although I only use single point so will not comment on the plethora of other options. Despite having a great success rate focus wise, I wonder how much if it is down to the great DoF from the 4/3 sensor?
Shooting silent with as many FPS as I will never need is great fun too, although I will need a new SD card if I intentd to ever use it on the fastest settings.

If I ever use it for wildlife the Pro Capture mode may come in handy, but the high res shot mode might be handy but not for much. ;)

The weight was also a very welcome relief as was the flipping screen when shooting close to the water level!
Don't forget to turn off the pro-capture once you've finished with it or you'll end up with a lot of frames without knowing it. There is an article in the latest issue of the Nature Photography magazine on shooting with Olympus and it has something on using pro-capture on birds.

Try shooting with the touch screen, too.

High res mode works best with stationary subjects.

If you plan to take a lot of shots, you may want to carry a second battery with you.

I find Olympus is totally fine with photographing sports bar operator's errors.

by DChan on Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:04 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
rb_stern wrote:I have had good results with Panasonic gear - I currently have a G-85, and I use a Panasonic 14-140 ( 28-280 equivalent) and a Panasonisc 100-300 mk. 2 (200-600 equivalent) , which is lighter than my D500 and 300 f4-pf-vr. Super for people, landscapes, flora etc. Definitely not as good for distant birds that need big crops, or BIF. But worth considering for what you're describing.

Richard
I think he bought the Olympus.

For some unkown reason Panasonic refuses to use PDAF.

by Neilyb on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:23 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
rb_stern wrote:I have had good results with Panasonic gear - I currently have a G-85, and I use a Panasonic 14-140 ( 28-280 equivalent) and a Panasonisc 100-300 mk. 2 (200-600 equivalent) , which is lighter than my D500 and 300 f4-pf-vr. Super for people, landscapes, flora etc. Definitely not as good for distant birds that need big crops, or BIF. But worth considering for what you're describing.

Richard
I think he bought the Olympus.

For some unkown reason Panasonic refuses to use PDAF.

Didn't know that, puts me off the Panasonic lenses somewhat. Thanks.

23 posts |