Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by pdschu on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:48 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
My LaCie rugged with thunderbolt and USB 3 apparently has a short in the USB connection so I am looking for a new portable SSD drive to get a second copy of images from the field to home. I use a 2011 MBP which has older thunderbolt and USB 2 connections while out photographing and store a second copy on the portable drive.
I would appreciate suggestions for a good 500GB to 1TB SSD drive. There are so many I thought this would be a good place for opinions.

Thanks.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by KeithAnderson on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:56 pm
KeithAnderson
Forum Contributor
I use a Western Digital. The link will show the SSD version. Works very well

https://www.wd.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-ssd.html

by imagenes_vivas on Mon May 06, 2019 4:41 am
imagenes_vivas
Forum Contributor
pdschu wrote:My LaCie rugged with thunderbolt and USB 3 apparently has a short in the USB connection so I am looking for a new portable SSD drive to get a second copy of images from the field to home. I use a 2011 MBP which has older thunderbolt and USB 2 connections while out photographing and store a second copy on the portable drive.
I would appreciate suggestions for a good 500GB to 1TB SSD drive. There are so many I thought this would be a good place for opinions.

Thanks.

I have the G-Technology G-Drive mobile SSD and it's extremely fast and very small for travelling. It's comes with both a USB-C and USB-3 connection cable. Highly recommended.

https://www.g-technology.com/products/portable/g-drive-mobile-ssd-r-series#0G06052

by Anthony Medici on Mon May 06, 2019 2:27 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
My smallest form factor SSD's which I have 1/2 dozen of in various sizes is this Samsung.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... e_ssd.html

It's not the fastest anymore but it isn't slow and it is small.
Tony

by Greg Downing on Tue May 07, 2019 2:09 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
The most economical way to do it is to purchase a standard internal SSD and put it in an enclosure. The whole thing end up being the size of a WD passport and ends up being about 30% (or more) less than the standalone external portable units being discussed. It used to cost about 1/2 to do it this way but the price of these portable drives has gone down a bit in recent years. I use an internal SSD for my lightroom catalog in my main computer. I travel with the same drive with the catalog and smart previews on it - I just pull it out of the computer and stick it in an external enclosure. Of course when I do this it has been backed up several times prior to pulling it.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Bob Ettinger on Wed May 08, 2019 10:40 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Greg,

Quick question. Are you using 2.5" SSD or M.2. I already using several 2.5" just like you said and they work fine. I was looking for an external enclosure for an M.2 and they are difficult to find. The main reason for the M.2 is it is much smaller.

Thanks

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by photoman4343 on Wed May 08, 2019 10:51 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Greg, what case do you recommend for a win 10 laptop or desktop? I have a 1 TB SSD in my old laptop that I want to remove and use as an external drive on my new laptop.

Joe
Joe Smith

7 posts |