All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by James W. Milligan on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:55 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
I have sent several hours trying to upgrade my firmware on m a7RM3 with no luck. Bottom line: i can't get past the step where i must allow the sony software to download. I get to the point where i press OK to connect camera to computer and it sends me to play memories. I tried support and that was a waste they send you an email and will not talk to you. 

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Which OS and OS version?

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:12 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I don’t know if this will help, but check out this link for detailed instructions for Windows:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... s/00015998

Or for Mac:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7rm3/downloads/00015999

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by James W. Milligan on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:35 am
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Which OS and OS version?

I have High Sierra 10.16.6 on an iMac 27 in. I have also tried this on a Mac Pro with Mojave. with each try I get to the same place where I must  press allow so the software can load . The allow key does not appear in the security settings under general.

by James W. Milligan on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 am
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
SantaFeJoe wrote:I don’t know if this will help, but check out this link for detailed instructions for Windows:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... s/00015998

Or for Mac:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7rm3/downloads/00015999

Joe

This is the script that I have followed for the MAC install. I get as far as the Security window/general and there is no "allow" button. This is as far as I can go.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Not compatible OS if it's really 10.16 - it says right in the instructions that you need 10.12 to 10.14 for it to work.  But then I don't think there is a 10.16 as the latest is Mojave 10.14 and high Sierra is 10.13.

Assuming you actually have 10.13, are you sure the camera's communication protocols are set right?  Make sure USB Connection In Setup Menu 4 is set to Auto or Mass Storage.  Also make sure the battery is fully charged.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Just reread what you wrote - it seems you don't even get to the point where you should connect the camera.  Make sure the camera is not connected when you get to the security screen - you aren't even able to fully install the software on your computer.  Since you aren't getting the allow button, it may be that you are not logged into an administrator account on that computer.  Go to Settings and then Users & Groups and make sure you are logged on as an administrator.

All else fails, find somebody with a PC - the whole update process is a lot easier with many fewer steps on a PC.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
If I wasn't leaving tomorrow for three weeks, I would try the update on a similarly configured computer but it's just too close to resolve any issue, should it crop up...

by James W. Milligan on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:38 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Just reread what you wrote - it seems you don't even get to the point where you should connect the camera.  Make sure the camera is not connected when you get to the security screen - you aren't even able to fully install the software on your computer.  Since you aren't getting the allow button, it may be that you are not logged into an administrator account on that computer.  Go to Settings and then Users & Groups and make sure you are logged on as an administrator.

All else fails, find somebody with a PC - the whole update process is a lot easier with many fewer steps on a PC.
Excuse my typo on the operating system it is 10.13.6. I will give this another try and then use a pc. Thanks for the suggestions.

by Arnie Berger on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:01 pm
Arnie Berger
Forum Contributor
James
I ran into the same problem when I updated my A9. Brian Smith has written a great article on his blog (April 11th) how to update on a Mac that finally worked for me.
https://briansmith.com/blog/
Arnold Berger
Powell Ohio

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:50 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Here is the actual article referenced above as opposed to the full blog stream which will quickly push stuff off the bottom. Also I don't see how it differs from the Sony instructions but maybe there's something in there that's key:
https://briansmith.com/sony-releases-a7 ... date-3-00/

by James W. Milligan on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 am
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Here is the actual article referenced above as opposed to the full blog stream which will quickly push stuff off the bottom.  Also I don't see how it differs from the Sony instructions but maybe there's something in there that's key:
https://briansmith.com/sony-releases-a7 ... date-3-00/
I looked at the article and it is the same as the one that I have followed. My issue deals with the failure of the download process to reach the point or step after the software is opened. It seems as though the software is not loaded into the computer. In the past I have experienced issues with downloads of some programs and was directed to use the disk utility to resolve the problem. 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:16 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Sorry James,  as I've said before, doing remote software runs from a Mac to another computer, in this case your camera, has always been an adventure and Apple is making it more and more difficult as they close their system more and more with each OS revision.  You will experience none of these problems if you find a PC to do the update from, even if it means going to the library to access a Windows computer.

Sony could of course simplify the whole thing if they did what every other manufacturer does, load FW from a memory card inserted into the camera, but no, Sony requires you to remote load it to the camera from a computer.

by Arnie Berger on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:41 am
Arnie Berger
Forum Contributor
Amen.
Arnold Berger
Powell Ohio

14 posts |