Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:23 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Is there any metabones adapter that will connect my 600mmF:4 G VR to a A6400 and maintain AF and VR?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Not with AF and VR.  Even if somebody were to make an adapter that could do that, AF performance would be very poor as the AF-S type focusing motor is not at all remotely optimized for super telephoto shooting using on sensor AF.  It would be fine for static subjects but for anything that is moving you need a lens with a different design AF system that focuses two groups simultaneously using linear stepper motors as opposed to Ultra sonic magnet type motors.

The newer E-type lenses would be much easier to adapt due to using an electronic aperture rather than the electromechanical aperture actuation but it would still not AF nearly as well. There is such an adapter in development but it is now already 7 months late.

by Larry Shuman on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:07 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I saw a video where 3 AF adapters were tested using Nikon glass up to 200mm and AF looked really miserable. So mirrorless with eye focus will not be for me.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Larry Shuman wrote:I saw a video where 3 AF adapters were tested using Nikon glass up to 200mm and AF looked really miserable. So mirrorless with eye focus will not be for me.
Not unless you get something like the Sony 400/2.8 plus TC which have amazing AF.  Right now animal eye-AF is for dogs and cats but they have plans to develop it.

4 posts |