Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:52 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I currently have three EN-EL15 batteries; two are the Li-ion20, which I use with the D500, and one is the Li-ion01, which is used with the D810. I am planning a 7 day wilderness kayaking trip this July where I will be no where near any civilized areas and no way to recharge my batteries, so I am looking at purchasing two more batteries. Nikon now lists the EN-EL15a and EN-EL15b, Will both of these batteries work with the D500 and D810? Which would be the best current choice for the D500 and which for the D810? I plan to do a bunch of night sky photography, so it will be eating up the batteries a bit more than usual.

Thanks
Tim

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yes all 15a and b batteries will work with any camera compatible with those batteries. Only original 15 (without letter after the 15) that say LiIon1 on them can be problematic in the D500 and D850.  If they say LIon 20 then even those will work.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000042103&configured=1&lang=en_GB

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:08 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Read this regarding the 01:

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_ ... rigin=null

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:10 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thank EJ. I was already at that page, which really does not explain this very well, which is why I posted it here. So which one would you get for the D500 and D810? Maybe the "b" because it is the newest?

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
You might consider something like this with a power bank:

USB Charger

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yes, get the newest but if the 15a's are a lot cheaper then I would get those. The b's allow USB charging in the Z6/Z7, that's the big difference between a's an b's which makes the b's more future proof.

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:34 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
The difference in price between the "a" and "b" is $5. I will never own a Z camera, so I guess the "a" is probably the one.

Joe that charger looks interesting, but I question how reliable it is and how well it actually works. They don't say how long it takes for a full charge, or if it needs to be "sunny" for it to work. I have seen solar water pumps that will not work if it is cloudy. Here on the west coast, it can be cloudy for weeks on end.

Regardless, I still feel the need to get two of the later batteries.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:46 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The charger is not solar, but can be charged by solar. The battery packs I would use are the type of batteries used to recharge phones, etc. These batteries are cheap and can be found anywhere in different capacities.

Battery Pack

These replacements sound good, but I know nothing about them personally:

Duracell

Joe

by Baywing on Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:29 am
Baywing
Forum Contributor
I'd get the "b" as they are fresher. I bought some batteries for my D2x years back from Nikon and they were new old stock. They didn't last more than a few charges before they started to drop on the life meter. I always buy the latest available.
Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/baywing

by peter makuch on Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:45 am
peter makuch
Forum Contributor
Member #:02075
HELLO TIM,
BATTERIES ARE A GOOD ITEM WHEN THEY HAVE FULL POWER IN THEM AND ONCE THEY GO DOWN YOU NEED HELP, A GOOD FRIEND OF MY MENTION TO ME TO GET A CHARGER THAT WELL HOLD POWER AND DO IT'S JOB VERY WELL, THE NAME OF THE CHARGER IS ( ANKER ) THEY HAVE A FEW MODELS OUT THERE AND THEY ARE AN EXCELLENT CHOOSE TO HAVE, I CAN CHARGE ON MY TWO LP-E4N BATERIES ( CANON ) FOR MY CAMERA BODY AS-WELL A I POD TOUCH ( MAC ), O YA, MUST NOT FORGET MY CELL PHONE, I STILL HAVE POWER IN THE CHARGER FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK, P.S CHARGER MUST BE CHARGERED UP BEFORE LEAVING FOR YOUR TRIP, FOR IT TO WORK. I HOPE THIS HELPS AND THE REST IS UP TO YOU.

PETER MAKUCH

10 posts |