Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:12 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I have never owned or used a UV filter on any lens before, but when I bought this recent Nikon 500 f5.6 PF they sent me a "free" $270 UV filter for it. Some kind of promotion I guess? Anyway, I have always thought why put cheaper glass over a more expensive front element. However, I do like the idea of a piece of glass over the front element to protect it. So would you use it? Would there be any advantages to using it beyond protection? Should I just leave it on there?

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:49 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I would never use one for the reason you mentioned of using a cheap glass in front of quality glass. I bet the filter is not a high quality brand if it was a freebie, but you didn’t state that. Some Nikons actually have a replaceable front glass that many people think is an element, but it is there to protect the optical elements. It’s taking a risk not to use a protective filter, but I prefer less glass, rather than more. That being said, I like to always use a lens hood.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:25 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Digital sensors do not require UV protection (that is film) but a clear filter can be of some benefit for protection. Test it and find out if it works with the lens.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s an article on the subject:

https://www.howtogeek.com/355998/what-i ... mera-lens/

And more info under #4 here:

https://photographylife.com/lens-filters-explained

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by DChan on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:45 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I'm sure you must have already heard pretty much all the arguments against using it. At the end of the day, I think, if nobody (including yourself and your customers) can actually tell if any of your images were shot with or without the UV filter, and if it gives you peace of mind, use it.

A $270 filter isn't really a cheap filter :-)

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:58 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:A $270 filter isn't really a cheap filter :-)
It depends! Look here and you will see the price of a Promaster filter:

https://www.mcbaincamera.com/productdetail.php?mcbain_id=0241433

Then look here:

https://mpex.com/promaster-95mm-digital-hd-lens-filter.html?fee=6&fep=20013&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjfGn8_-i4QIV5R-tBh3YKgNHEAQYASABEgKls_D_BwE

Then there’s a Nikon:

https://www.vistek.ca/store/281471/nikon-95mm-neutral-colour-filter

Joe

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:04 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:I'm sure you must have already heard pretty much all the arguments against using it. At the end of the day, I think, if nobody (including yourself and your customers) can actually tell if any of your images were shot with or without the UV filter, and if it gives you peace of mind, use it.

A $270 filter isn't really a cheap filter :-)
Thank you Danny. That was pretty much my thinking as well. I will take a few shots with and without today and decide. With all my previous expensive glass, the front elements have suffered a bit from all the use in the wild. I would feel better (safer) with some kind of front protection. Clear glass would be great, but this was free.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The only time I would consider it is if there was a high risk of salt water sea spray or some other type of chemical or paint.

by Anthony Medici on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:14 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I've been talked out of all 'protection' filters. Added glass eventually degrades the image. Maybe it is unnoticeable when it is new. Yet eventually it will be worn, dusty and scratched. (The primary lens is made of better glass and sits further from things that can scratch it.)

And, as I just mentioned in the Astro thread, filters remove light. That's what they do. And I'll add that they add two more glass/air boundaries that the light must transit. Unless you need the reduction to make your image work, you should avoid filters.
Tony

by Karl Egressy on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:51 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
The only protective filter I use on any lens I have or had was made in Germany by B+W and they are good quality.
When they worn out mentioned by Anthony. buy an other one.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Karl Egressy wrote:The only protective filter I use on any lens I have or had was made in Germany by B+W and they are good quality.
Like most filter manufacturers, B+W makes several lines of filters from cheap and pretty lousy to ultra high end.  You can't just say that any B+W filter is a good filter, it depends on which one you bought.

by Karl Egressy on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:58 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Karl Egressy wrote:The only protective filter I use on any lens I have or had was made in Germany by B+W and they are good quality.
Like most filter manufacturers, B+W makes several lines of filters from cheap and pretty lousy to ultra high end.  You can't just say that any B+W filter is a good filter, it depends on which one you bought.
Thanks for the correction, E.J.
I bought the B+W digital MRC F-PRO 95 mm 007M Clear. This was for the Nikon 500mm f 5.6 PF and also the same for the Nikon 200-500mm f 5.6. I hope it was the better one.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Karl Egressy wrote: Thanks for the correction, E.J.
I bought the B+W digital MRC F-PRO 95 mm 007M Clear. This was for the Nikon 500mm f 5.6 PF and also the same for the Nikon 200-500mm f 5.6. I hope it was the better one.
That's the best one they make :)

13 posts |