Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Neilyb on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/photographing-indian-wedding-eos-r/?utm_source=mc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Pro_0300-201903N_25032019&utm_content=hq_pro-en_a_1_moreinfo_M4&utm_id=pro_0300-201903n

I read through right until the end looking for reference to card slots. It was there, near the bottom of the article showing Canon maybe are a little sensitive about it. I had wondered why anyone would shoot an "oppulent" Indian wedding (and they can be pretty over the top as we found out in Mauritius a few year ago) on a camera with zero redundancy? If the photographer is to be believed he is a very naive fellow. Yes cards are more reliable these days but that does not stop your computer/reader/camera from causing the corruption. Take the card out too early, drop it in a glass champagne...? 

Which raises the question "Why bother adding two slots to the 1Dx?" ;) 

"Sanjay says the fact that the EOS R has only one memory card slot, as compared to the two card slots of the EOS-1D X Mark II, didn't worry him. "I'd argue that memory technology is much better now and cards are far more reliable than they ever have been," "

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:40 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If I were forced into using that camera or another single card camera to shoot a wedding or other shoot where you can get sued if you don't get the shots, I would at least real time send the JPEGs to my smart phone in real time in the background, which these cameras are capable of....

by DChan on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:08 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Back then photographers shot wedding with cameras which only have one card slot. Even a bit longer ago people photographed wedding with rolls of films that only allowed 36 shots on each roll. And then some photographers they would bring along back-up cameras or assistances to do the shooting, i.e., they are not the only one taking the photographs with one single camera. A lot of the wedding I go to, they have more than one photographers taking the pictures.

Looks like Sanjay knows how to make the best use of his gears :-)

by Neilyb on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Oh I am sure he was well covered and I am sure Canon were covering his a$$ with one of the other backup solutions. I just find the "Cards are well made now" form of excuse (scripted by Canon I am sure) a bit weak. Yes we used to have one card slot, a roll of film but we used to have smallpox too. I will go with prevention any day.

I just found it interesting that Canon started drawing attention to (and fleecing over) the single slot ;)

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The world is MUCH more litigious now, at least in the USA it is.

5 posts |