Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by flip2350 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:11 pm
flip2350
Forum Contributor
If you were going to Kenya on safari, would you take the Z6, Z7 or Z6 filmmakers kit mainly for video?
Would the stabilizer be needed for shooting video from the jeep? Would it be good enough to shoot on cards or buy the Atmos for recording?
No tripod coming, limited to 33 pounds total including clothes, camera, etc. Currently, have the D850, 70-200 Fl, 180-400, 24-70, and the D5 which I'll probably leave home if I get the Z camera. Would a different stabilizer be better for this trip than the one in the "kit"?
My wife is coming so maybe she can carry some of my clothes for the trip.
Hard to believe they limit the weight to so little?

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If mainly video I would go with the Z6 - it is actually a better video camera. Whether or not you take the filmakers kit depends on your requirements for video quality - you can output higher quality video to the external recorder than can be recorded internally but for me, it would be a pain to deal with in a safari environment.  For stills the Z7 is the better camera but since you said mainly video I'd get the Z6.  As for stabilization, a beanbag is what you need for shooting from the safari vehicles.  Of course you will need the F to Z adapter if you want to use your DSLR lenses.  

So if it were me for video I would take the Z6, F to Z adapter, 24-70, 70-200 and 180-400.  But then why get the Z6 at all, why not just use your D850...  You would save 3 pounds though if you used the Z6 and Z24-70 f/4 rather than your D850 and AF-S 24-70 f/2.8.  Personally I would want two camera bodies.

As for weight, in my experience that 33lb doesn't include what is on your body so pocketing some items before they get weighed, if they get weighed at all, can reduce your packed weight substantially.

2 posts |