« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Wouldn't you know it, a week after I was telling E.J. the D810 I purchased from him was doing great, I have a problem :mrgreen:.  I ejected the SD card last night (yes, camera was turned off) to download the images on it and when I placed the card back into it's slot this morning, I went to re-format both cards and the SD card doesn't register as being there.  I cut the camera on and off a time or two and re-tried, still no joy.  I tried two other SD cards with the same result.  When you choose the option to reformat the cards, the light that indicates the SD card is inserted never comes on. The CF card re-formatted without issue.  

OK, you techno folks, is there something I can possibly try before sending the body back to Nikon?  
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Sounds like the card slot has failed - sorry about that but you got several good years before needing a repair :) Let's just hope that Nikon's service is better than mine and I can almost bet that Nikon engineers wouldn't be so stupid to integrate a machanical component like a card reader onto the main circuit board.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:20 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
With only the sd card inserted, does the [-E-] symbol show up on the control panel indicating no memory card is inserted? Also, did you make sure the write protect switch is in the off position if your card has that switch? I’m sure you’ve double checked everything already, but just some thoughts.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Bill Chambers on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:28 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:With only the sd card inserted, does the [-E-] symbol show up on the control panel indicating no memory card is inserted? Also, did you make sure the write protect switch is in the off position if your card has that switch? I’m sure you’ve double checked everything already, but just some thoughts.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I did not check anything with just the SD card inserted but will this afternoon.  Honestly, I didn't even think about the write protect tab, but I did try two other SD cards and it did the same with both of them as well.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Bill Chambers on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Sounds like the card slot has failed - sorry about that but you got several good years before needing a repair :)  Let's just hope that Nikon's service is better than mine and I can almost bet that Nikon engineers wouldn't be so stupid to integrate a machanical component like a card reader onto the main circuit board.
Hey, stuff happens.  I learned a long time ago that anything mechanical can and will break at some point.  Such is life...

Seeing as how I live in Florida, can you suggest the best Nikon repair facility or Nikon authorized repair facility to send it too?

BC
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:41 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Sounds like the card slot has failed - sorry about that but you got several good years before needing a repair :)  Let's just hope that Nikon's service is better than mine and I can almost bet that Nikon engineers wouldn't be so stupid to integrate a machanical component like a card reader onto the main circuit board.
Hey, stuff happens.  I learned a long time ago that anything mechanical can and will break at some point.  Such is life...

Seeing as how I live in Florida, can you suggest the best Nikon repair facility or Nikon authorized repair facility to send it too?

BC
Just go onto the Nikon service site (linked below) and start a repair ticket - it will automatically direct you to the correct one:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-and-repair.page

by Bill Chambers on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:49 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks, E.J.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another thought. Have you tried the cards in any other camera. I have also read that if you may have changed a file or added a strange file to the card, the camera won’t recognize it.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Another thought. Have you tried the cards in any other camera. I have also read that if you may have changed a file or added a strange file to the card, the camera won’t recognize it.

Joe
The only way a good card won't be recognized if the camera is in good shape is if the card was formatted with the Mac OSX format.  In that case one has to first put the card in a Mac and format it using FAT32 or EXFAT, then when you put it in the camera the camera will recognize it.  but since he has tried several cards, it is almost certainl the camera itself.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:28 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This is what I was talking about when I referred to a strange file. It did give an error message though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnIxr3Zwko

Joe

by photoman4343 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
See if taking the battery out of the camera has any affect on the SD card matter. It probably will not, but sometimes replacing the battery fixes "bugs" that make no sense.
Joe Smith

by Mike in O on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:53 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I would try a factory reset..probably won't help but it is something a consumer can do.

12 posts |