All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 30 posts | 
by Richard B. on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:51 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
OK, I called a somewhat local (40 miles) brick and mortar camera store today to inquire about the lens and a pre-order list. They said they had a call list for when they get any 500's in stock. But, not to argue, but they stated they have not received any 500 pf's to date, not even for their NPS members. The owner seemed surprised when I told him that deliveries were being received in other areas. This is a major store and I don't think they are on the outs with Nikon. Maybe distribution is not evenly spread out?

Richard

by ricardo00 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:13 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Richard B. wrote:OK, I called a somewhat local (40 miles) brick and mortar camera store today to inquire about the lens and a pre-order list. They said they had a call list for when they get any 500's in stock. But, not to argue, but they stated they have not received any 500 pf's to date, not even for their NPS members. The owner seemed surprised when I told him that deliveries were being received in other areas. This is a major store and I don't think they are on the outs with Nikon. Maybe distribution is not evenly spread out?

Richard

It would be nice if things were more transparent!  Unfortunately, one can only speculate since the people in the know aren't talking.  So my impression is that Nikon preferentially sends it to stores where the pre-orders have put some money down?  In my case, the brick and mortar store I ordered it from took a $500 refundable deposit when I pre-ordered and I received the lens several weeks later.  So purely speculation on my part, is it possible that your local store is not getting any lenses because they aren't taking deposits?  Clearly lenses are being sent out (albeit in very small numbers in comparison to the number of people who want the lens).  Unfortunately, no one seems to know how Nikon decides where to send the lenses (a random dispersal to certified Nikon dealers?).  No wonder Amazon cancelled all their pre-orders for this lens.

by Mike Delgado on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:24 pm
Mike Delgado
Forum Contributor
I got my lens a week ago after being on a waiting list for a few weeks, I decided to return as I prefer my F4 much better. The lens is nice and has good balance.
Website
http://MikeDelgadoPhotography.com/
Join me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/mike.delgado.1466

by Richard B. on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:22 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
"So purely speculation on my part, is it possible that your local store is not getting any lenses because they aren't taking deposits?"

Yes, I had that thought also. Impossible for the customer to know. But if that is the case, I would not be real pleased if I was the retailer. I'm sure he could sell any number of lenses regardless of any advanced deposits. So maybe some dealers get the product, and he doesn't ? Two classes of dealers? Who knows. I'm glad to hear that there are lenses coming through the system someplace however.

Richard

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:12 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tony has it right.  Nikon is almost inconceivably bad at judging market demand outside of Japan.  They live in a really closed in world and over and over make the same mistake of projecting what Japanese customers want on the rest of the world and they simply do not listen to what their geographies are telling them.  This is how we get a flood of pink J1 cameras at the introduction of that system in the USA, not a single one of which ever sold in the US until they were marked down to 25% of their original price...  They do not understand the American (or European, or Chinese, or ...) market or consumer and seemingly have no desire to learn.

by Ron Poppe on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:30 am
Ron Poppe
Lifetime Member
Member #:01303
I placed my order for the 500pf with B&H on Sept 13 and am curious if any one has recently received their order from B&H and when they placed the order?  Requesting where I am on the list has proved futile, maybe someone could enlighten me on why B&H is unwilling to share your status on the order list.   
Ron
Pensacola, FL

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:19 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
In the USA, they have finally filled all of the NPS orders and are now up to regular orders that were placed around 5-6 months ago on average.  Big places that take a huge percentage of the orders are probably a little farther behind, smaller places with fewer pre-orders are a little ahead of the 6 month mark.

by Ron Poppe on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:01 am
Ron Poppe
Lifetime Member
Member #:01303
E.J. Peiker wrote:In the USA, they have finally filled all of the NPS orders and are now up to regular orders that were placed around 5-6 months ago on average.  Big places that take a huge percentage of the orders are probably a little farther behind, smaller places with fewer pre-orders are a little ahead of the 6 month mark.
I wish it was only 6 months, for me it has been 9 months.  
Ron
Pensacola, FL

by jimbo on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:29 pm
jimbo
Forum Contributor
ordered from Adorama  back in August, received May 5 th. 5 days before a trip that I was planning. Long wait but happy with ending.  Jiimbo

by Richard B. on Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:16 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Amazon is listing the lens now for delivery in four to six weeks. Quote - get it by mid July if you choose two day shipping at checkout. Apparently the supply chain is catching up. 

30 posts |