« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I need some advice on setting.
On Canon 580 EX and most recently 600 EX my setting was between -1 2/3 and -2 1/3 in TTL mode with Better Beamer and Harbor Digital.
Right now I have a Nikon SB 700 with Harbor Digital on it and a Cameron W700 with Better Beamer on it.
They claim that the guide number on the Cameron is identical to that of Canon 600EX but I don't think it is.
My question is: what should be the setting in TTL mode on these Nikon Flashes.
If you give me the approximate setting in sunny condition, it would be enough for me.
I tried -0.7.

Thanks for your time.
Karl.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I have no clue on the Cameron but in general, for basic fill somewhere between -2 and -3 tends to get the job done.

There is a MAJOR difference in the way flash exposure compensation works between the Nikon and Canon system though that can trip you up. In the Canon system, if you dial in any flash exposure compensation on the flash itself, it doesn't matter what flash exposure compensation you set inside the camera, it is ignored. In the Nikon system the flash exposure compensation on the flash head and the flash exposure compensation that you set with the camera body are additive. So lets say on both systems you set the flash head to -1 and the camera to +1, on Canon you would get -1 because the flash overrides the camera, on Nikon you would get zero because 1 + (-1) = 0. This gives the Nikon system an advantage because, lets say you only want a tiny bit of flash, you can set the flash at -3 and the camera body at -3 and actually get -6.

2 posts |