All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 24 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
ChrisRoss wrote:I broadly agree Royce, though there are plenty of people around (not on here generally) who will buy a 42MP Sony and put a kit lens on it.  Yes there's a place for that type of camera but go in with your eyes wide open.  The video is not perfect by any means but would probably help people who think they need more MP (and not all the stuff that needs to go with it) and they are still around.

I see examples all the time, like someone who bought a Z7 and UW housing, took some OK- nice pics  but had no clue how to resize an image to post online and was wondering why he had trouble with uploading the tifs.  Maybe $10,000 worth of equipment, maybe more or less depending on housings and port chosen.
We've had people on workshops with $30K worth of brand new equipment that they had no idea how to use and no desire to learn how to use beyond it's fully automated point and shoot capabilities for 3 minutes per shooting location and then sat in the bus for the remainder of the 4 hour shoot....  To each their own, no point in judging them really although we are all guilty of that at times.

by Scotty on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:32 pm
Scotty
Forum Contributor
Maybe a tiny bit off topic, but as a happy D500 user, I must admit I'm about to bite on picking up a D850 with the current availability and $200 discount currently offered. Correctly if I'm wrong, but with very similar pixel pitch (D500 vs D850), wouldn't the same techniques I currently employ on my D500 as far as obtaining sharp images apply to the D850 - pretty much across the board (ie try to use high shutter speeds, vibration reduction, tripod when possible, etc). I like the idea of using APS-H 31 mp (ie 1.3x crop), though realize a strong argument can be made for throwing away pixels in post as opposed to cropping at time of capture. I guess I think the D850 really makes my D500 obsolete, other than the D500 is 5 oz. lighter.
http://www.ecotonephoto.com

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:32 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Scotty wrote:Maybe a tiny bit off topic, but as a happy D500 user, I must admit I'm about to bite on picking up a D850 with the current availability and $200 discount currently offered. Correctly if I'm wrong, but with very similar pixel pitch (D500 vs D850), wouldn't the same techniques I currently employ on my D500 as far as obtaining sharp images apply to the D850 - pretty much across the board (ie try to use high shutter speeds, vibration reduction, tripod when possible, etc). I like the idea of using APS-H 31 mp (ie 1.3x crop), though realize a strong argument can be made for throwing away pixels in post as opposed to cropping at time of capture. I guess I think the D850 really makes my D500 obsolete, other than the D500 is 5 oz. lighter.

Other than saving space by having reduced file sizes, I'm not sure why you would shoot in a cropped mode? In my neck of the woods, a quick check on the classified listings shows many D500's for sale, and no D850's. I think a lot of people are opting for the D850 instead of the D500 now. 

by Anthony Medici on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:37 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Scott Fairbairn wrote: Other than saving space by having reduced file sizes, I'm not sure why you would shoot in a cropped mode? In my neck of the woods, a quick check on the classified listings shows many D500's for sale, and no D850's. I think a lot of people are opting for the D850 instead of the D500 now. 
To produce, in camera, what you are intending to keep anyway. It works better with static opportunities rather than dynamic ones since with dynamic one you might cut something off and you really didn't need to if you were using the 1.2x or FF crops instead of the 1.5x one.

That said, I crop in body all the time.
Tony

24 posts |