« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
https://www.dpreview.com/news/976871648 ... ess-camera

It brings the a9 AF system which is the best mirrorless AF system currently on the market to the a6xxx style mini rangefinder body style.  Same 24mp pixel count as the other a6xxx bodies.  It also adds a screen that flips up completely so that it can be used as a vloging camera.

by Mike in O on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:07 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
With animal eye tracking, I wonder if only critters with a pupil showing will get this tracking. Birds with a black eye or birds with pupils (think some owls) or will this be an exclusive mammal thing needing ears and snout?

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:09 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mike in O wrote:With animal eye tracking, I wonder if only critters with a pupil showing will get this tracking.  Birds with a black eye or birds with pupils (think some owls) or will this be an exclusive mammal thing needing ears and snout?
Time will tell!  Since we will get the FW update on the a9, a7 III and a7R III, I am eager to test this out as soon as available.  If it works for birds, it will completely alter bird photography forever.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A link to the Sony page:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interc ... /ilce-6400

There is a link on that page to download the brochure.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
DPReview hands-on with the a6400:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/39380 ... sony-a6400

And a first impressions video:

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/5986578103/sony-a6400-first-impressions-video

And a comparison between other cameras and the a6400:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0072788087/should-i-buy-the-sony-a6400-here-s-how-it-compares

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another review:

https://fstoppers.com/originals/sony-a6 ... ies-332481

Joe

by Primus on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:48 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
It would be nice if Sony came out with a camera that did everything the a9 does but in APS-C format. It would be amazing with the new 400 2.8 lens. The pixels could be fewer (perhaps 20Mpx) as long as everything else is the same. Problem with many APS-C cameras is that they tend to pack the same number of pixels as the FF version but on a smaller sensor which usually leads to more noise, at least from what I've seen.

So I am waiting for the next version of the a6500 as the present firmware upgrades will not apply to the current model - or so my understanding goes.

Pradeep

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Primus wrote:It would be nice if Sony came out with a camera that did everything the a9 does but in APS-C format. It would be amazing with the new 400 2.8 lens. The pixels could be fewer (perhaps 20Mpx) as long as everything else is the same. Problem with many APS-C cameras is that they tend to pack the same number of pixels  as the FF version but on a smaller sensor which usually leads to more noise, at least from what I've seen.

So I am waiting for the next version of the a6500 as the present firmware upgrades will not apply to the current model - or so my understanding goes.

Pradeep
Agreed, lets hope the a7000 rumors are true.  I would much rather have an APS-C a9 body than an a6500 replacement.

by Joerg Rockenberger on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:24 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
PQPrimus wrote:It would be nice if Sony came out with a camera that did everything the a9 does but in APS-C format. It would be amazing with the new 400 2.8 lens. The pixels could be fewer (perhaps 20Mpx) as long as everything else is the same. Problem with many APS-C cameras is that they tend to pack the same number of pixels  as the FF version but on a smaller sensor which usually leads to more noise, at least from what I've seen.

Pradeep
Don’t you get what you’re asking for if you use the A9 in cropped mode? Or simply crop in post process? Why do you need a new camera if you keep the pixel density the same?

Joerg

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Joerg Rockenberger wrote:
PQPrimus wrote:It would be nice if Sony came out with a camera that did everything the a9 does but in APS-C format. It would be amazing with the new 400 2.8 lens. The pixels could be fewer (perhaps 20Mpx) as long as everything else is the same. Problem with many APS-C cameras is that they tend to pack the same number of pixels  as the FF version but on a smaller sensor which usually leads to more noise, at least from what I've seen.

Pradeep
Don’t you get what you’re asking for if you use the A9 in cropped mode? Or simply crop in post process? Why do you need a new camera if you keep the pixel density the same?

Joerg
Not even close, if you crop an a9 to APS-C you only have 10.6 megapixels.  The a9 is 24 megapixels, divide that by 2.25 to get to APS-C by simply cropping that sensor.  An APS-C sensor would be 24 or 26 megapixels.

by Joerg Rockenberger on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:00 am
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Joerg Rockenberger wrote:

Pradeep

Joerg
Not even close, if you crop an a9 to APS-C you only have 10.6 megapixels.  The a9 is 24 megapixels, divide that by 2.25 to get to APS-C by simply cropping that sensor.  An APS-C sensor would be 24 or 26 megapixels.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
No response Joerg, you just quoted what had already been posted...

by Joerg Rockenberger on Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:37 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:No response Joerg, you just quoted what had already been posted...

Hmmm, that's weird... I was just saying that I forgot that the A9 "only" had 24 MP... Sorry about that. Joerg

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:19 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Info on setting up the menu on a6400:

https://fstoppers.com/education/full-wa ... tem-344821

Joe

14 posts |