Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:37 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Are the buffers on those two cameras the same size? I use both for shooting at concerts every now and then and noticed that the a7RII takes a lot longer than the a7II to be ready for shooting again after a burst of frames. I know that its files are a lot larger, but so does Sony and I expected the size of that camera's buffer to be larger as well, to handle the larger files. Looks like that's not the case.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:01 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s an article on the a7rll:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ ... r-iiA6.HTM

And the a7ll:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7-ii/sony-a7-iiA6.HTM

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The a7II can get approximately twice as many shots as the a7RII before the buffer fills. The a7RII was never intended to be used for long bursts. They corrected that in the a7RIII

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:00 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The articles I linked to above say 23 for the a7rll and 28 for the a7ll.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:The articles I linked to above say 23 for the a7rll and 28 for the a7ll.

Joe
Yeah, probably the best answer is "it depends" - JPEG mode is double, fast card RAW is much less than double but more, slow card RAW is almost double.  But bottom line, the a7II can take more shots before it buffers out than the a7R2.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Actually, I was wrong. The chart at the bottom of this page tells a different story for uncompressed RAW:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ ... r-iiA6.HTM

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes, forgot to mention that as well. But still, the a7II is better if number of frames before buffering is more important than resolution. If buffer/frame rate is the number one criteria in the Sony ecosystem than the a9 is the camera to use.

by Jens Peermann on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:20 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Thanks Joe.

Only the link for the a7/RII gives buffer capacity data (9 files), the one for the a7II doesn't mention it. Surfing the web I found that info about the buffer capacity is scarce and also inconsistent. I did a test myself using the same lens, aperture, shutter speed and SD card on both cameras and the result was 10 files for both of them. That's not what I experienced in the field. A real interesting phenomenon. Maybe that's why only few authors are publishing information about buffer capacity. There is, however, a good number of reports of photographers being unhappy with the buffer on the a7RII.

by Jens Peermann on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:26 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yes, forgot to mention that as well.  But still, the a7II is better if number of frames before buffering is more important than resolution.  If buffer/frame rate is the number one criteria in the Sony ecosystem than the a9 is the camera to use.
It really seems to depend on what you're shooting and the lens/setup that is used. As I just posted in the answer to joe's post, a comparison between both cameras using the same lens at the same aperture and shutter speed, as well as the same SD card gave 10 frames on both cameras. That is definitely not what I experienced in the field.
There is also a lot of inconsistency in reports I found on the web, regarding the buffer capacity for both cameras.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:32 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Jens Peermann wrote: Thanks Joe.

Only the link for the a7/RII gives buffer capacity data (9 files), the one for the a7II doesn't mention it.
It’s in the text of the article, but not in a chart. It is listed as 28.

Joe

10 posts |