Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:23 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
When I purchased the Canon 500 f4, first thing I did was ditch the big "suitcase" the lens came in.  Big, chunky and not practical for everyday use.  Good to see Canon changing to a more practical slim case that looks something like the ThinkTank Glass Limo.  In my opinion they should have gone just one step further and made the new cases into a backpack.  They already have one strap.  How much more would it cost to add a few more straps and turn it into a really practical case. 

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/New ... News=30301

by pablo on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:02 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
Practical??? The review I read revealed there is no sufficient space to have a full size DSLR attached. Oops!

I'm sticking with my Glass Limo.

(More likely this is a cost reduction.)

Pable

by OntPhoto on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:01 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
pablo wrote:Practical???   The review I read revealed there is no sufficient space to have a full size DSLR attached.  Oops!

I'm sticking with my Glass Limo.

(More likely this is a cost reduction.)

Pable
Well, more people will use the new case than the old suitcase, so it's a lot more practical than the old one  :)  There's no way this 'replaces" my Glass Limo either because it's sort of a 2/3 case.  Just 1/3 more and this could have been a very good case.  Couple of more straps.  Just a bit more room on top.  

A replacement Canon suitcase costs about $500+  The Glass Limo is $200.  I wouldn't doubt that cost savings was a factor in the decision making to go soft case.  

by neverspook on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
What is good about the old suitcase type cases is they were very secure if you had to ship your lens in for service etc. I would now have to get a costly Pelican case to be comfortable shipping the new lenses. Since the new case does not fit lens with camera attached, I would still need a backpack for shooting which I would always have anyway. So as far as I am concerned, I am sorry to see the secure suitcase case discontinued. Just my 2 cents worth.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

4 posts |