All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by batcher on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:34 am
batcher
Forum Contributor
Happy 2019 to you all,

I don't usually post here but do check in on occasion so thought I might ask for some advise. I shoot a fair amount of wild flower without a flash and have played with the idea of getting a Speedlite. This Christmas I received a MIOPS water drip setup and it appears to need a flas to get results.

I use a 5ds r & 5d mkiii. I don’t own a flash or have ever used one. I’m looking at a Speedlite 470EX-AI bundle from Adorama which has a shoe cable which I’m sure will be handy off camera for the flowers. I don’t really see a future need for the AI bounce but think it would be fairly easy to set-up and use for a beginner. I’m not interested in a ring light as I want a bit more versatility.

So, do you think this would be a good choice for these applications or have another thought.

Thanks for your help.

by batcher on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:55 am
batcher
Forum Contributor
Sorry but I can't seem to remove the formatting.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I fixed the formatting. For what it's worth the 470EX-AI was my flash of the year selection for 2018.

As for whether it's right for your applications depends somewhat on how you are shooting the flowers. You might also consider a macro-light set-up.like the Canon MT-26EX if you plan on shooting in very close proximity to the flowers as it allows you to more precisely place the flash heads. But of course the flashes are much lower power so if you are shooting from distances of say a meter or more, they won't be too effective.

by batcher on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 pm
batcher
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the fixing and for the reply. I did read earlier where it was your pick and that led it to being my pick, for now. I'm thinking the MT26EX in a bit more $ than I'm willing to spend and maybe not quite as versatile. Would surely be nice to have tho for the macro. Thanks again.

4 posts |