« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If you updated your FW to ver. 2.0 in the last couple of months, please immediately update to the newly released 2.1.  The 2.0 FW release contained a bug that can cause data loss on the SD card.  This FW also fixes some SD card compatibility issues that some were having.

Here's the Sony page to get the FW updates:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... e-7-series

by Gary Irwin on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:30 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Whoops! :oops:
Gary Likes Nature.

by david fletcher on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:54 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
E.J. Peiker wrote:If you updated your FW to ver. 2.0 in the last couple of months, please immediately update to the newly released 2.1.  The 2.0 FW release contained a bug that can cause data loss on the SD card.  This FW also fixes some SD card compatibility issues that some were having.

Here's the Sony page to get the FW updates:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... e-7-series
Crikey.  Now that is scary.  It's comforting to know that the manufacturers we support with our hard earned $/£'s can just as easily screw the whole shebang.  good job the latest Sony's have two slots... (oh heck... that ain't worth a dime if the data loss is widespread).  (not enough info in the original statement to know whether a small or significant issue for Sony users, but I do recall the habit of vloggers to enlarge considerably any minor dislike on the latest launches, etc).  

Bottom line,..  don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.  

PS.  For interests sake, I followed the link.  Guess if you are used to the way Sony works and thinks, it works but it is certainly not intuitive or immediately easy to get where you want to.. (follow the downloads...)  As have only the experience of Canon and Nikon, I guess I have been spoilt, but at least you get the info of what is going on when clicked on that downloads page.

[ul]
[li][ul]
[li]in rare cases, the camera may stop functioning while writing RAW data onto an SD card that has already been used multiple times
Notes:
[ul]
[li]This may also cause abnormalities in the files managing the images, preventing the images from displaying on the camera[/li]
[li]No image data in the memory card will be corrupted or deleted aside from the data that was being written at the time the interruption occurred[/li]
[/ul]
[/li]
[li]Taking a picture while using the Auto Review function may occasionally cause the camera to stop responding[/li]
[/ul]
[/li]
[li][font="SST W01 Roman", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Solves the problem caused by a specific third-party memory card, which would not be recognised by Sony cameras[/font][/li]
[/ul]

David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey David
There was a bit of info from Sony on the last link I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=280733&p=2572288#p2572288

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by david fletcher on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:23 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
SantaFeJoe wrote:Hey David
There was a bit of info from Sony on the last link I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=280733&p=2572288#p2572288

Joe

:)   On the money Joe.  Guess the significance wasn't spotted but your post clearly states that issue on the 7th Dec and updated on the 8th.   
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

5 posts |