Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Ed Okie on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:24 pm
Ed Okie
Forum Contributor
   E.J. Peiker published an in-depth review a few months previous that caught my eye, a new tripod (with an odd name) iQuick3pod 40.4, produced by a Hungarian manufacture.
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/iQuick3pod.pdf
   "When one first unpacks this tripod one is immediately impressed by the high quality feel of the tripod. It is hefty! The top legs are 1.5 inches in diameter and even on the taller 4 leg section model, the bottom legs are still 1.125 inches in diameter"
   He went on to say, "easily of the same quality as the major players in the super sturdy carbon fiber tripod market."
   I'll cut to the chase: after extensive use in varied situations the new iQuick3pod is by far the most solid tripod I've used in over 40 years of experience, camera's ranging from Linhof 4x5's to todays' Sony a7rIII. Lenses from 16mm to 500mm.
   E.J's timely comments perked my curiosity. I had just returned from air travel, two weeks of landscape shooting during Vermont's fall foliage season, each day mumbling to myself about the tripod carried - the one I've had for several years, a RRS TVC-2X that is too short, only 49". The situation made worse this year as I left the center quick-column at home (which adds up to 11" vertical travel), motivated by a suggestion read on RRS's website: When traveling, consider removing the quick-column and leaving it at home, keeping your RRS support package as light and compact as possible.
   What was I thinking? Big mistake. The tripod is too short! Mounted on top was the RRS BH-40, a medium-size head that's "okay," but not exceptional. Sticky when panning. Pan release knob is awkwardly placed, difficult to use when wearing gloves.
   Unexpected bonus of the iQuick3pod's is the built in top plate leveling base. It comes standard. Not an extra-cost item. Appreciably lighter than Gitzo's leveling base, plus easier to adjust.      
   Release locks for leg-spreading, finally a functional design, easy to use bare-handed or with gloves. The overall feel of this tripod is Mercedes like!
   Quality contradicts its (relatively) low price, $890. Inexpensive for a super-sturdy no extras needed product:  includes a substantial carrying case and strap, screw in spiked feet, built-in leveling base (a $200-300 value item). A comparable package from RRS approaches $2,000. With other brands $1,500. Sobering numbers!  iQuick3pod is the winner, irregardless of price! At half the price is astonishing! A bargain.

Stability is the benchmark and the iQuick3pod is solid, operationally very smooth.
   The oddity I've noticed with gear carried by many photographers: they think nothing of placing thousands of camera and lens dollars atop tripods, then attempt to "get by" when it comes to the support system. Makes zero sense! Likewise lust for high-rez lenses and camera sensors... and give scant consideration about vibration!
   My tripod comparison matched the iQuick3pod against two tripods I've used for years, both are carbon fiber models, Gitzo GT3530LS 3-leg extension with an added leveling base. Total package weight 5 lbs 9 oz. (The iQuick3pod is only 4 ounces more!)
   The lighter-duty less stable 4-leg extension "travel" tripod, RRS TVC-2X with BH-40 head plus vertical-column weighs 4 lbs. If I add the BH-55 head the weight increases to 5 lbs.
   The TVC-2X's optional riser makes up for the tripod's too-short size. Downside: the vertical height extension sticks up above the top-plate and inherently creates an unstable platform, like a flagpole towering in the breeze. It solves a height problem but creates another: loss of stability - the fundamental purpose of any tripod.
   Without exception tripod success is directly related to the head mounted on top.
   My head of choice for bird wildlife or landscapes, including macro work both in the studio and field, is the Wimberley II gimbal head. Precise control of each axis. Bulky, slightly heavy, is offset by  smooth as butter operation. Pair it with the iQuick3pod and it's a very rewarding combination.
   If lighter and less bulk is desired I switch to an Swiss-Arca Z1+, an unusual head design with an "out of round" ball... that grips tighter as the camera and lens tips off center. It helps mitigate the notorious head-flop & crash inherent with all ball heads. Added bonus: the Swiss-Arca's panning smoothness is superb, far better than either RRS head.

[disclaimer, as E.J. also stated, I/we have no financial connection with the iQuick3pod manufacture.]

by Ed Okie on Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 am
Ed Okie
Forum Contributor
Another aspect of tripod stability I didn't mention in the iQuick3pod 40.4 evaluation is screw-on Spiked feet.  It applies to - ALL - tripods.
  1" versions are included with the iQuick3pod 40.4
  I use a longer 3" set purchased from the NatureScape's online store, "3 legged thing".
  Spiked feet add an appreciable degree of stability, simple but effective. I often leave them on the tripod on a semi-permanent basis.
  Exceptions are when working on a rocky surface, likewise indoors when on wood, tile or linoleum flooring.
  Conversely, on carpeted floors the spiked feet increase stability (they don't damage the carpet).
  Outdoors, a spiked foot pushed into the earth requires tipping the tripod to raise the leg out of the ground before changing the leg angle. It's a token disadvantage compared to a "ball" knob which allows leg sliding (but the ball is far less stable on grass or soft surfaces.)
  Spiked feet definitely stabilize a tripod even more. Well worth a try.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yeah, I switched to Spiked feet a couple of years ago. It makes a huge difference in stability.

3 posts |