« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 26 posts | 
by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:05 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I'm delighted with my new lens, but yeah, as has been discussed , the foot leaves a lot to be desired. What are people thinking for the best replacement? I want to keep it as light as possible. 
Thanks!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by ricardo00 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:12 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Congrats on your new lens!  Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Best replacement foot may depend on your preferences.    The replacement foot from Hejnar is unique in that it has a screw that actually screws into the collar, this would prevent the rapid release of the foot but would provide added protection against an accidental release of the foot.  It is also the cheapest.  I don't have it but others seem to like it.  

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/product ... erisk-.htm

Alternatively there is the RRS LCF-11 which I have been using, the most expensive and slightly heavier than the Hejnar.  And the Kirk replacement foot (LP-64), which Is about 0.5 Inches shorter than the RRS Foot.  So depending on whether you like/need It longer for balancing on your gimbal and/or hand holding.  There are probably others as well.  It will also depend if you plan on attaching a strap and how you plan to do that (the RRS has a aQD socket for attachment of their strap).   A few thoughts, sure others will chime in.

by George DeCamp on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:25 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
I've had the RRS foot mentioned above since day 1, no problems so far. Some like the Hejnar foot also mentioned above better but I have no experience with it and actually ordered the RRS foot before the lens came. Had the lens since late September and happy as can be!

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:11 pm
Cynthia Crawford
ricardo00 wrote:Congrats on your new lens!  Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Best replacement foot may depend on your preferences.    The replacement foot from Hejnar is unique in that it has a screw that actually screws into the collar, this would prevent the rapid release of the foot but would provide added protection against an accidental release of the foot.  It is also the cheapest.  I don't have it but others seem to like it.  

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/product ... erisk-.htm

Alternatively there is the RRS LCF-11 which I have been using, the most expensive and slightly heavier than the Hejnar.  And the Kirk replacement foot (LP-64), which Is about 0.5 Inches shorter than the RRS Foot.  So depending on whether you like/need It longer for balancing on your gimbal and/or hand holding.  There are probably others as well.  It will also depend if you plan on attaching a strap and how you plan to do that (the RRS has a aQD socket for attachment of their strap).   A few thoughts, sure others will chime in.
Thanks Ricardo and George. I use a Black Rapid strap, usually attached to the camera. The lens doesn't hang down much-I usually carry the whole thing in my hands,. So are you saying the the RRS has a place to attach a black rapid mount?   I'm a little afraid to attach BR to the lens with a potential for a quick release disaster. On the other hand,even though the Hejnar screws in and might be safer, screws can come loose with out previous notification!  Hmmmm
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by ricardo00 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:50 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Thanks Ricardo and George. I use a Black Rapid strap, usually attached to the camera. The lens doesn't hang down much-I usually carry the whole thing in my hands,. So are you saying the the RRS has a place to attach a black rapid mount?   I'm a little afraid to attach BR to the lens with a potential for a quick release disaster. On the other hand,even though the Hejnar screws in and might be safer, screws can come loose with out previous notification!  Hmmmm

You could put Loctite on the screw attaching the Hejnar foot to the collar?  I would think the screw would be safer than the Kirk or RRS attachment though I haven't had any problem with the RRS replacement foot (though I periodically check that it is tight).
  I guess I live dangerously, have been attaching my strap to my long lenses via the foot for a number of years now, though have been using an Arca Swiss clamp on the Black Rapid Strap (haven't tried the RRS strap which can attach to the RRS foot, didn't get as good reviews as the BR).  But the way you do it, attach your strap to the camera, is safer except occasionally I let it hang from my neck without holding the lens, which might strain the lens mount?  But if you prefer that, makes sense to continue doing it.

by Karl Egressy on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:04 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I bought the Kirk replacement foot in advance (did not have chance to try it yet) as I did not know about the Hejnar replacement foot that attaches by a screw.
I had this arrangement on my Canon 100-400 with the Kirk foot and the screw never came loose.
I will buy the Hejnar $ 60, not a big deal, and it is much safer than then Kirk or RRS IMO.

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:03 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Karl Egressy wrote:I bought the Kirk replacement foot in advance (did not have chance to try it yet) as I did not know about the Hejnar replacement foot that attaches by a screw.
I had this arrangement on my Canon 100-400 with the Kirk foot and the screw never came loose.
I will buy the Hejnar $ 60, not a big deal, and it is much safer than then Kirk or RRS IMO.
I guess that makes sense Karl. Just have to keep checking that the screw is tight. I don't want to use lock-tight. Maybe a rubber gasket or something.

by Swissblad on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:55 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the info, folks....may go the Hejnar route......great little lens.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 am
Cynthia Crawford
Decided to go with Hejnar. Light weight, cheaper, no quick release.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I have a love hate relationship with the quick release. I love it when I want to go as light and compact as possible and intend to only hand hold. I hate that it's such a risky design.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:39 pm
Cynthia Crawford
E.J. Peiker wrote:I have a love hate relationship with the quick release.  I love it when I want to go as light and compact as possible and intend to only hand hold.  I hate that it's such a risky design.
Yeah, I guess I'll see how it feels to have a more permanent fixture. It only weighs 3 oz. I tend to either  use the foot for a handle when hand-holding it feels right, or just swing it out of the way to the right side. I noticed on this lens though , that when hand-holding , it's a bit too easy to accidentally turn the focus ring-pretty close quarters. (Nice if you're not using auto-focus I guess...)

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Please do post back on how you like it!

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:24 pm
Cynthia Crawford
E.J. Peiker wrote:Please do post back on how you like it!
Will do!

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:50 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Quick update on the Hejnar foot-probably more to come. Just got it today. The screw hole is deeply inset-wrench has to go in there. Foot fits nicely on camera and balances nicely on my Induro Gimbal. It is a decent length for flexibility in balance-I had the camera close to the back edge to balance D500 and 500 5.6 lens. Seemed to also be OK with TC1.4 added. The stop/safety screws, however, have to be set /unscrewed a *lot* for this head. I am afraid they will fall out-not sure I would trust them. The single screw holding the foot onto the lens collar has no washer. It loosened after 20 minutes of use. Remove camera from tripod, flip camera and tighten. Put back on the tripod. I tightened it as much as I dared without stripping it and that seemed to hold better, but no long term prognosis here. That said, I rarely use a tripod, so I am not sure how much useful testing I will do. I don't have anything to compare it to except the foot that came with the camera.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:22 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey Cindy
If it were mine, I would go down to the local Ace Hardware(if you have one, but any would do) and get screws that are a bit longer so that you will have enough purchase on the threads in the foot. That way you don’t lose them or strip the threads, but you will have the safety feature with confidence. On the loose bolt, just wrap it with a layer or two of plumbers teflon tape and it should hold better and make it less likely to strip it out. You can probably put a star or wave washer on it. The tools used to machine the threads into the foot cut a larger thread when new and smaller as they wear out. The opposite is true about the tool used to cut threads on the bolts. Some people don’t change the tools often enough, so things are not so precise.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:10 pm
Cynthia Crawford
SantaFeJoe wrote:Hey Cindy
If it were mine, I would go down to the local Ace Hardware(if you have one, but any would do) and get screws that are a bit longer so that you will have enough purchase on the threads in the foot. That way you don’t lose them or strip the threads, but you will have the safety feature with confidence. On the loose bolt, just wrap it with a layer or two of plumbers teflon tape and it should hold better and make it less likely to strip it out. You can probably put a star or wave washer on it. The tools used to machine the threads into the foot cut a larger thread when new and smaller as they wear out. The opposite is true about the tool used to cut threads on the bolts. Some people don’t change the tools often enough, so things are not so precise.

Joe
Excellent advice, Joe. I'll look into those options. Those solutions would make the whole think workable, but also removable if I want another option. someone mentioned loctite, but I am wary of the stuff-I don't do well with chemical smells for one, and I am not sure how easily it can be removed .....anyway, we use plumber's tape for lots of stuff like this-works great!

Thanks!

by signgrap on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Karl Egressy wrote:I bought the Kirk replacement foot in advance (did not have chance to try it yet) as I did not know about the Hejnar replacement foot that attaches by a screw.
I guess that makes sense Karl. Just have to keep checking that the screw is tight. I don't want to use lock-tight. Maybe a rubber gasket or something.
If you wrap the screw that loosens with Teflon tape it should prevent the screw from loosening, and make easy to remove if you need to. I use Teflon tape on many screws - works great.
Dick Ludwig

by ricardo00 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:14 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Quick update on the Hejnar foot-probably more to come. Just got it today. The screw hole is deeply inset-wrench has to go in there. Foot fits nicely on camera and balances nicely on my Induro Gimbal. It is a decent length for flexibility in balance-I had the camera close to the back edge to balance D500 and 500 5.6 lens. Seemed to also be OK with TC1.4 added.  The stop/safety screws, however, have to be set /unscrewed a *lot* for this head. I am afraid they will fall out-not sure I would trust them. The single screw holding the foot onto the lens collar has no washer. It loosened after 20 minutes of use. Remove camera from tripod, flip camera and tighten. Put back on the tripod. I tightened it as much as I dared without stripping it and that seemed to hold better, but no long term prognosis here. That said, I rarely use a tripod, so I am not sure how much useful  testing I will do.  I don't have anything to compare it to except the foot that came with the camera.
   Even though I had the RRS replacement foot (bought it before I knew about problems of accidentally releasing the foot and didn't know about the Hejnar foot), I also ended up buying the Hejnar foot.  I find it much more comfortable than the RRS replacement foot where I found that my hand would almost always end up hitting the release button when I was hand holding the lens.  This made me always worry about dropping the lens as well as being uncomfortable.  I also prefer not having the knob on the foot.
  It does worry me that you found the screw holding the foot onto the lens collar coming loose.  I haven't noticed this yet but haven't taken it out on a long hike.  Most likely will put the Loctite on it thought will consider the Teflon tape.  But all-in-all, for me it is nicer hand holding the lens with the Hejnar replacement foot.  So for those of you who will be getting the lens over the next few months, I would think the Hejnar is the way to go unless you want the option to remove the foot occasionally.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:45 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
If you use Loctite, I would recommend the purple. It is not too strong for small bolts and setscrews:

http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/when- ... eadlocker/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ricardo00 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:56 am
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:If you use Loctite, I would recommend the purple. It is not too strong for small bolts and setscrews:

http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/when- ... eadlocker/

Joe
  Thanks Joe.  I actually have been using the blue, medium strength one (recommended to me a number of years ago) for different things (including my camera gear) which is supposed to be removable though have never had to do that.  Looks like the purple is weaker? 

26 posts |