Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:51 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I received notice from B&H that, starting November first, they will collect sales tax for orders from the state of Nevada. I don't know if that goes for other states as well, but since this is a result of the U.S. Supreme Courts ruling on collecting sales tax for states where a business has no physical presence, which applies to all states, I don't think this new B&H policy is limited to Nevada.

3 shopping days left.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Stephen Feingold on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:47 pm
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
States without sales tax: AlaskaDelawareMontanaNew HampshireOregon.

by dbolt on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:10 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
I bought a printer from B&H yesterday and was charged sales tax. First I'd heard about the practice I live in Maryland.
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by Jens Peermann on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:37 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
dbolt wrote:I bought a printer from B&H yesterday and was charged sales tax.  First I'd heard about the practice  I live in Maryland.
I placed an order on Saturday and no sales tax was charged. Did you order it online or did you drive to NY and bought at B&H's store?

by dbolt on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:35 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Jens Peermann wrote:
dbolt wrote:I bought a printer from B&H yesterday and was charged sales tax.  First I'd heard about the practice  I live in Maryland.
I placed an order on Saturday and no sales tax was charged. Did you order it online or did you drive to NY and bought at B&H's store?

I bought it from my home in Maryland.  But, I went through Art Morris's website so he gets some kickback from B&H, as I usually do when making larger purchases.  Not sure that is why I got charged tax this time.  Never in the past has going through Artie's site to support his blog affected my cost. I had not intended for my support to cost me an additional $83 for the privilege this time. 
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by Jens Peermann on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:55 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
dbolt wrote:
Jens Peermann wrote:

I bought it from my home in Maryland.  But, I went through Art Morris's website so he gets some kickback from B&H, as I usually do when making larger purchases.  Not sure that is why I got charged tax this time.  Never in the past has going through Artie's site to support his blog affected my cost. I had not intended for my support to cost me an additional $83 for the privilege this time. 
Do you get e-mail notifications from B&H? That's how I found out about the sales tax.

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:31 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I think all mail order is going to have to charge a sales tax. I'd just as soon they did. In 2017 I bought and had shipped to Colorado several things from B&H. No sales tax charged but they sent a list of everything I bought to the Colorado taxing authority and I had to file and pay a use tax. Same thing happened to me in TN on some amazon orders several years ago. What most people don't realize is that most states with a sales tax also have a use tax. If you bring it in state, you are going to pay one or the other. With computers keeping track of it all and states going broke, they are going to really go after one or the other.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:44 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

B&H charging sales tax was kicked around here, and elsewhere on the net, a few months ago. It's going to hurt with large purchases.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by rajandesai on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:09 am
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
As of today, B&H doesn't charge sales tax on orders shipped to MA.

But this is what they have on their website:
-------------------------------------------------------
"Sales Tax
B&H collects sales tax on orders shipped to any state which requires that local sales tax be added to the order total on remote purchases, including any shipping charges.

You may be responsible for state and local sales/use taxes when filing your tax returns. Please check your local sales tax laws."
-------------------------------------------------------

by Kari Post on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 am
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
I'll also point out that sales tax applies to where the item is shipped, not the address of the credit card holder who purchases it. I live in NH (no sales tax) but if I purchase something for my mom in NJ and ship directly to her, I get charged sales tax
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:36 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I am encountering the same issue with Amazon.  I just ordered a Trail Cam with several options for vendor.  I picked one (located in NY) and was charged sales tax at checkout.   I send many of my purchases to a New York address. Before finalizing the purchase I went back and selected a different vendor  (not NY - Wisconsin, I think) and there was no sales tax at check-out.  So, I went with this one.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Not collecting it in AZ. It very much depends on your state. Some states with Sales tax have not yet started requiring tax collection for businesses that have no presence in the state. AZ is one of those. How long it will remain this way, who knows.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:59 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Sales tax is charged if items from B&H or Amazon are sent to Vermont. Not New Hampshire, (where I can send things to my husband's office there, tax-free). That said, this issue has been discussed extensively in Vermont, since so many people can go right over the border to tax-free N.H. It has been very hard on Vermont businesses. I guess this new rule levels the playing field somewhat. If a sales tax is not charged and you live in Vermont, you have to declare your purchases on the VT tax forms anyway, so might as well pay up front. I believe there is a general purchase tax declaration on the form that might be easier and less expensive to use. I charge VT sales tax for things I sell in Vermont as well, as part of my business. I don't know how it works in other states.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

13 posts |