Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:09 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
a friend of mine is selling her Nikon lenses (and a camera), at, I think, pretty good prices. I'm new to Nikon, so I don't have sery good perspective yet on what is a good deal. I would like to expand my work a bit, from mostly birds to some macro, maybe a bit of landscape.
Here 's what she is selling:

3. Nikon D800E camera body, 36.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor, 51-point AF system
(15 cross-type), ISO 100-6400 expandable to 25,600, 3.2” LCD with 921,000 dots,
1080p HD video recording, 4 frames per second continuous shooting
100% viewfinder, well cared for and in excellent condition, $1000
4. Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor zoom lens, excellent condition,
$2000 new, very slightly used, a fantastic lens, $1500
5. Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 50mm F/1.4D DSLR lens with auto focus, new condition,
$250
6. Nikon AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED Lens, excellent condition,
$1200, information on this amazing lens:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186250-
USA/Nikon_1960_AF_S_Zoom_Nikkor_17_35mm.html
7. Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Zoom Lens with Auto Focus, excellent
condition, $500

How important is VR for these lenses (assuming some other models have VR and most of these don't)?
I'm mostly interested in the 70-200-it's an older model, but maybe fine for my purposes....though maybe a bit heavy. I generally don't use a tripod, but I might , for that lens...

Any thoughts would be appreciated- are these good prices, are they good lenses?  She is a pro and totally meticulous taking care of her equipment. I'm going to look at the lenses Friday.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by rjacobs on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:37 pm
rjacobs
Forum Contributor
Been a while since I used Nikon equipment, so will not comment of specific items.
To gauge prices I look for comparable items at these places: KEH.com, MPB.com and Buy/Sell at fredmiranda.com

good luck
russell

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey Cindy
Re:3  Price sounds about like I’ve been seeing them for, but check shutter count, since she is a pro.
Re:4  Price is somewhat high. I usually see them for around $1100 or even less. Be sure and check inside for any metal shavings. Some Nikons used to have shavings that were not properly cleaned out. I think this may possibly be one of them, but I don’t recall the exact model(70-200 or 70-210).
Re:5  I have a similar older lens and love it for early morning shots at Bosque because it is fast and sharp. Price is reasonable.
I can’t say about the rest.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:33 pm
Cynthia Crawford
rjacobs wrote:Been a while since I used Nikon equipment, so will not comment of specific items.
To gauge prices I look for comparable items at these places: KEH.com, MPB.com and Buy/Sell at fredmiranda.com

good luck
Thanks-have been checking those sites....
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:38 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s an older thread on this site about the70-200:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=270514

You may want to look here for more:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3036064

Or do a Google search.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:10 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Update- decided to wait on any further purchases until I know more what I want. If anyone else is interested in these lenses, send me a PM and I can give you her contact info....if that's OK to do here....

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:04 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The lenses are way overpriced for these old models in my opinion - especially the 17-35 which is awful lens by today's standards. There was a time in the film era where it was a good lens but today, with the demands of today's sensors it's terrible. You'd be better off getting a new Nikon 16-35 f/4 for less money, especially now during the instant rebates. The 70-200 is a good lens but it's only discounted about $200 from what it was new when introduced. You can find this lens new or used cheaper. The D800E is a good camera but misses the electronic front curtain which helps it avoid shutter shake which the D810 has, The price is hard to jusge since the number of shutter activations isn't stated.

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:03 am
Cynthia Crawford
E.J. Peiker wrote:The lenses are way overpriced for these old models in my opinion - especially the 17-35 which is awful lens by today's standards.  There was a time in the film era where it was a good lens but today, with the demands of today's sensors it's terrible.  You'd be better off getting a new Nikon 16-35 f/4 for less money, especially now during the instant rebates.  The 70-200 is a good lens but it's only discounted about $200 from what it was new when introduced.  You can find this lens new or used cheaper.  The D800E is a good camera but misses the electronic front curtain which helps it avoid shutter shake which the D810 has,  The price is hard to jusge since the number of shutter activations isn't stated.
Thank you E.J. appreciate the evaluation. Not buying any of these, but will be looking for something for close-up and wide angle....eventually. Have to sell all my Canon gear o pay for the new Nikon 500 5.6!  (Delighted with it!!)

8 posts |