Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Craig Lipski on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:27 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
This summer I bought a 5DIV from B&H, and they threw in an extra battery - a Watson B-1554-2.  I *think* it was fine out of the box; if it was quicker to drain than the Canon, it wasn’t obvious.  Now, I charge it to full, put it in the camera, and it shows 2 bars, and quickly drops to 1; it’s done that twice, and neither time did I push my luck and use it.  Should I just pitch it, or can it be somehow rejuvenated?  I *think* I used Watson’s w/ my old 40D; whichever non-OEM I used was fine.  Are Watson’s notoriously unreliable?  I’m thinking I should just get a couple more Canons from B&H.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Replace it with a real OEM battery. :)

by Karl Egressy on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:11 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
When I had my 1DM3 camera I bought an extra third party battery (don't remember the name) but personally I never used it.
I sold the camera with the two batteries.
Eventually after a year or so use the third party battery blew up while being charged, the new owner told me.
Fortunately he was home and it did not set the whole house on fire.
Ever since I never touch any non OEM battery and advice it to anyone else.

by Craig Lipski on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:44 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Thank you!

by Neilyb on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:53 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
https://www.amazon.de/Baxxtar-Qualit%C3 ... p-e6&psc=1

Not sure if you can find these in the States but I have two for my 5d4 and have used them since buying it more than a year ago and work almost as well as the Canon battery... slightly fewer shots. I aslo use the same make in my A7r2 and have no problems.

by signgrap on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:18 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Just like with most thinks the quality of third party batteries vary widely. That said I've used some decent third party batteries - BUT they never held a charge as well as the OEM batteries I got with my Canon cameras. ALWAYS keep in mind that batteries can be a dangerous fire hazard especially when charging. I've come to the conclusion that the money saved with third party batteries is being "penny wise and pound foolish" - risk of a fire or camera damage is not worth the small amount of money you save.
Dick Ludwig

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I understand using a third party battery if it was thrown in for free. What I can’t see is skimping on batteries after spending so much on a camera and lenses, not to mention tripods, travel, etc. There’s a reason why they are cheaper! Why be let down in the field or on a trip just because you saved a few bucks??? They can also damage equipment, as mentioned in previous threads, notably Steve Cirone. Counterfeits are also something to be aware of. Manufacturers sites often give detailed info on telling a genuine battery from a counterfeit.

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=244122

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:58 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I got a free Watson battery with my D750. Now I'm afraid o use it! You'd think B&H wouldn't give them away if they were dangerous....or maybe they want to get rid of them? I'm ordering a Nikon replacement.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:I got a free Watson battery with my D750. Now I'm afraid o use it! You'd think B&H wouldn't give them away if they were dangerous....or maybe they want to get rid of them?  I'm ordering a Nikon replacement.
I wouldn't be afraid to use it in a D750.  That cmera came out before Nikon started doing strange things to make 3rd party batteries do weird things.  That started with the D500.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:51 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:I got a free Watson battery with my D750. Now I'm afraid o use it! You'd think B&H wouldn't give them away if they were dangerous....or maybe they want to get rid of them?  I'm ordering a Nikon replacement.
I wouldn't be afraid to use it in a D750.  That cmera came out before Nikon started doing strange things to make 3rd party batteries do weird things.  That started with the D500.
Oh, OK. Since the batteries are interchangeable with D500, that is good to know-I'll have to be careful.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:12 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Do not use anything but a Nikon battery that says Li-Ion20 in the D500, D850 or any newer Nikon camera.

11 posts |