Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:41 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Twice NPS has loaned me a 300mmF:2.8 AFS VR to use during the warbler migration at Magee Marsh. Both lens have hunted to the point of non usable. I sent one back early and turned off VR on the second one. Like magic I could get focus without its hunting. So why does it hunt with VR on, but work perfectly with VR turned off. My 200-500mmF:5.6 VR works great on boardwalk has does my 600mmF:4 G VR. so what is it with the 300 that causes hunting when VR is turned on?

Thanks
Larry Shuman

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:48 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Because it's broken ?
I have no problems with my copy of that lens.

by Larry Shuman on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:33 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Nikon never contacted me about the 2 lens being broke. I was new to VR on the first lens but by the second one I knew to turn off VR. There has to be a reason for the performance other than being broke.

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:39 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:Nikon never contacted me about the 2 lens being broke. I was new to VR on the first lens but by the second one I knew to turn off VR. There has to be a reason for the performance other than being broke.
Like I said, I have the same lens and never had problems acquiring focus with VR on.
So either lens you have is broken or you constantly select subject with low contrast.
What is more likely ?

by photoman4343 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I also have this same lens and have never had this problem. My first reaction was that lack of light or contrast may be the problem. If you have two different Nikon cameras, try the lens on both of them and see if the same problem is present on both bodies. Here is another thing to try. Set focus to the AF-ON button to delink AF from the shutter/VR button. Then mount he lens and see if the problem continues or goes away. Also download any software updates for your camera or lens that may exist and load them into the camera. And finally hit the reset settings button on your camera and see if that fixes anything.
Joe Smith

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:56 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote:I also have this same lens and have never had this problem. My first reaction was that lack of light or contrast may be the problem. If you have two different Nikon cameras, try the lens on both of them and see if the same problem is present on both bodies. Here is another thing to try. Set focus to the AF-ON button to delink AF  from the shutter/VR button. Then mount he lens and see if the problem continues or goes away. Also download any software updates for your camera or lens that may exist and load them into the camera. And finally hit the reset settings button on your camera and see if that fixes anything.
He already said his other two lenses work just fine so I don't see how any of those really unrelated suggestions may help.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Agree, when the VR unit fails it can set-up an oscillation internal to the lens that prevents it from achieving good AF performance. My 80-400 failed in the same way.

7 posts |