Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:29 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I have an older Gitzo 3530 (?) tripod and one of the carbon-fibre legs spins (it doesn't tighten) near the top of the leg collar.  Anyone else encounter this issue?  Tighten the bolt?  Hard to get a wrench in there.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:16 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
You might check these threads out:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=224416

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=263240

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:52 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:You might check these threads out:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=224416

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=263240

Joe
Awesome.  Thanks Joe for the links.  Very enlightening.  I see it's a glue problem.  

by OntPhoto on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:39 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
For months one of the tripod legs hung on like a baby tooth.  You know it's about to come loose but hanging by a thread.  So, I yanked on it and out the leg popped.  I see threads on the inner lining of the leg holder.  The leg doesn't screw into the threads anymore.  I am always messing up my fingers with Crazy Glue.  My finger print access to the iPhone stops working because of the hardened glue on my fingers. I always keep a bottle of 100% acetone on hand.

Purchased a bottle of ZAP CA from Amazon.  So, I was extra careful before applying the glue to the tripod leg holder/sleeve where the leg attaches to the tripod. Put in a drop or two along the threads inside the liner.  The glue is very watery so it just pooled at the bottom.  I just stuck the tripod leg into the liner and twisted.  This action hopefully helped spread the watery glue around the threads.  Not sure if I should have rolled the tripod around so the watery glue spreads out more around the threads.  Doesn't take long as the glue cures fast.  The previously loose tripod leg now feels solidly locked into place.  Can't believe I waited this long to take care of it.

I have plenty of glue left in the 1 ounce bottle for any other tripod leg that may come loose.  Infact, there's enough glue left for maybe hundreds of  loose tripod legs. 

4 posts |