All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 87 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
This lens is tempting. Nikon is tempting right now with top-notch bodies like the D500 and D850. I have a lot of Canon glass that's not getting used these days, and I've been waiting for a body to come along that ticks off all the boxes, but Canon doesn't make anything I'm interested in.
If Sony came out with a lens like this one, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:07 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
New review by Thom:

https://dslrbodies.com/lenses/nikon-lens-reviews/nikkor-prime-lens-reviews/nikon-500mm-f56e-pf-lens.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by George DeCamp on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
The lens is a game changer!

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
George DeCamp wrote:
That's what I keep saying :)  They are just super hard to get.

by George DeCamp on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:38 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
E.J. Peiker wrote:
George DeCamp wrote:
That's what I keep saying :)  They are just super hard to get.
I'm lucky I got mine in September. Very happy!!

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:54 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
That lens with the D500 would make a killer lightweight bird set up.

by photoman4343 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:36 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
My copy of the 500mm f5.6 is kept mounted on my D500 and the rig rests on a table right near my family room window. I use it hand held for birds at my feeder, moon shots, etc. I am just amazed how sharp my moon pictures are with this combo hand held.
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
photoman4343 wrote:My copy of the 500mm f5.6 is kept mounted on my D500 and the rig rests on a table right near my family room window. I use it hand held for birds at my feeder, moon shots, etc. I am just amazed how sharp my moon pictures are with this combo hand held.
I have not unmounted my 500PF from my D500 either - it just lives attached to the camera.  It's just the best general bird photography combo I've ever experienced by a pretty wide margin.

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:30 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
While Nikon have really "hit it out of the park" with the 500 f5.6 pf, they have also really screwed up again with the delivery of it. This lens is still not available in Canada! You guys in the US are lucky that they at least supplied a few down there, but even with that, my understanding is that they are now really hard to get in the USA. I contacted the store I usually purchase from in Toronto, and they told me they still cannot get them and they have no idea when they will be available in Canada. They also said they have to first fill all the orders they have from when it was first announced. It could be 1-2 years before someone who hasn't pre-ordered could get one. What is wrong with these companies? Do they not care about making money?

by DChan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:36 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:While Nikon have really "hit it out of the park" with the 500 f5.6 pf, they have also really screwed up again with the delivery of it. This lens is still not available in Canada! [snip]
Errrr...Tim, that's not exactly true. I mean, a friend of mine has been using it for a little while now. He ordered it from a store in Richmond.

by Karl Egressy on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:24 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I just called Nikon in Toronto and one of the representatives said that Henry's will get their order starting at the end of January.
I hope she was telling the truth.
I also went to one of Henry's store and they got a few a while ago and they all went to the preorder people.
So let's hope we will get it soon.

by Brian Stirling on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:32 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
E.J. Peiker wrote:My first impressions after the first half day of testing:
- so tiny, so light, I could handhold this all day long even with a bum shoulder
- the Kirk replacement foot works like a champ
- this lens is much sharper with VR off when mounted on a tripod - even at 1/100s if your long lens technique is good.  I would only recommend VR on when not on a tripod.  With VR off this lens is on par with the 500 f/4 lenses.  With it on it is not, it's more on par with lenses like a Sigma 150-600 Sport which is good but not in super tele f/4 prime territory.  This is even more true with the TC-14E III
- with the TC-14E III AF is still very good and you can still select any AF point, even on an older body like a D7200
- AF is very quick and very accurate once calibrated but I haven't done any birds in flight yet.
Surprised the VR performance is not so good -- any idea if a firmware update is to be expected or if a firmware update could address the issues.  

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Brian Stirling wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:My first impressions after the first half day of testing:
- so tiny, so light, I could handhold this all day long even with a bum shoulder
- the Kirk replacement foot works like a champ
- this lens is much sharper with VR off when mounted on a tripod - even at 1/100s if your long lens technique is good.  I would only recommend VR on when not on a tripod.  With VR off this lens is on par with the 500 f/4 lenses.  With it on it is not, it's more on par with lenses like a Sigma 150-600 Sport which is good but not in super tele f/4 prime territory.  This is even more true with the TC-14E III
- with the TC-14E III AF is still very good and you can still select any AF point, even on an older body like a D7200
- AF is very quick and very accurate once calibrated but I haven't done any birds in flight yet.
Surprised the VR performance is not so good -- any idea if a firmware update is to be expected or if a firmware update could address the issues.  

Brian
That was based on my first couple of hours of testing.  You may have missed my complete review linked earlier in this fairly long thread.  The VR is fine, you just have to put it in Sport mode.  Here's a link to the review again:
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Nikon%20500PF.pdf

by Brian Stirling on Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:36 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Thanks for the Update EJ...

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I finally got to put the 500PF through it's paces for flight shooting including fast subjects pretty close to the lens. With the bare lens, it works exceptionally well, with the 1.4x it is much more of a challenge - you need to acquire early and track well. Not a problem at all on predictable flyers that you can pick up at a distance but not fast enough for fast pop-up flyers.

by KK Hui on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:05 am
KK Hui
Member #:00536
E.J. Peiker wrote:I finally got to put the 500PF through it's paces for flight shooting including fast subjects pretty close to the lens.  With the bare lens, it works exceptionally well, with the 1.4x it is much more of a challenge - you need to acquire early and track well.  Not a problem at all on predictable flyers that you can pick up at a distance but not fast enough for fast pop-up flyers.
Thanks for your feedback on flight shots, EJ!
I think I'll keep my AF-S 500/4D and wait for a 600/5.6PF if there is one coming. :-(
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:43 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I finally got to put the 500PF through it's paces for flight shooting including fast subjects pretty close to the lens.  With the bare lens, it works exceptionally well, with the 1.4x it is much more of a challenge - you need to acquire early and track well.  Not a problem at all on predictable flyers that you can pick up at a distance but not fast enough for fast pop-up flyers.

What camera were you using? I assume the D500 or D850, or do you think the camera wasn't the issue with the 1.4x?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

What camera were you using? I assume the D500 or D850, or do you think the camera wasn't the issue with the 1.4x?
D500 and it did what I expected for an f/8 optic.

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:35 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

D500 and it did what I expected for an f/8 optic.

I bet this lens will be hard to come by for a while. It seems perfect in many ways. The reason I shoot with M43 was to get the weight down and make air travel easier and this lens with a D500 is lighter than the new Olympus M1x on their 300f4 and offers better AF and reach. 

by DChan on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:38 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
[snip] The reason I shoot with M43 was to get the weight down and make air travel easier and this lens with a D500 is lighter than the new Olympus M1x on their 300f4 and offers better AF and reach. 
Still, generally speaking, the m43 system is still not as bulky as the Nikon aps-c system although in some combo they may weigh similarly.

I think Olympus would rather you compare its EM 1X to the D5 rather than the D500... :lol:

87 posts |