Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 87 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:48 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
DChan wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
[snip] The reason I shoot with M43 was to get the weight down and make air travel easier and this lens with a D500 is lighter than the new Olympus M1x on their 300f4 and offers better AF and reach. 
Still, generally speaking, the m43 system is still not as bulky as the Nikon aps-c system although in some combo they may weigh similarly.

I think Olympus would rather you compare its EM 1X to the D5 rather than the D500... :lol:

I bet. I don't know if it's age or what, but I'm done lugging around the big D5 and 1Dx plus 600mm lenses. It doesn't seem that long ago I hiked with a Gitzo 410, plus original wimberly, 600f4, 1.4x, extension tubes, flash and bracket, better beamer type flash extender........and used Velvia 50, and all with no stabilization.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I've done a little more experimentation and with a 1.4x; turning on the focus limiter switch transforms the flight experience with this lens - very usable.

by Gary Irwin on Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:56 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I've done a little more experimentation and with a 1.4x; turning on the focus limiter switch transforms the flight experience with this lens - very usable.
Good to know E.J....and as far as IQ goes the samples I've seen @f8 look really sharp which is kind of amazing considering it's an f5.6 lens. Too bad the only way I can shoot BIF @f8 is in bright sunshine which is the worst type of light to shoot anything in.
Gary Likes Nature.

by DChan on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:06 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Gary Irwin wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I've done a little more experimentation and with a 1.4x; turning on the focus limiter switch transforms the flight experience with this lens - very usable.
Good to know E.J....and as far as IQ goes the samples I've seen @f8 look really sharp which is kind of amazing considering it's an f5.6 lens. Too bad the only way I can shoot BIF @f8 is in bright sunshine which is the worst type of light to shoot anything in.
So a f5.6 lens is not expected to be sharp let alone as sharp as other lenses of larger aperture?? Why, if I may ask? Anyone?

by Gary Irwin on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:19 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
Gary Irwin wrote:
So a f5.6 lens is not expected to be sharp let alone as sharp as other lenses of larger aperture?? Why, if I may ask? Anyone?
Empirical evidence. Hi quality f2.8 "pro" lenses have always accommodated TC's better than f4 lenses. There really haven't been any f5.6 f-mount lenses that could be considered "pro" quality, but the 500PF is challenging that assumption especially when used with the TC14EIII.
Gary Likes Nature.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:40 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
There is absolutely no issue with sharpness with the 1.4x but it is much better stopped down 2/3 of a stop to f/10. But then even the f/2.8 and f/4 lenses are much better with a 1.4x when stopped down a bit.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:14 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another review:

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews ... _vr_review

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

87 posts |