First unread post  | 52 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:30 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
lelouarn wrote:Now here's something interesting and innovative from Zeiss:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/343044445 ... mm-f2-lens
35mm fixed lens, on full frame, BUT, with:
- 512 GB memory inside the camera for image storage
- Lightroom CC inside the camera, with a touch display (wondering if you have to pay for a monthly license though.
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfVDvBzVrCo
The in camera editing on the touchscreen (it is editing the raw, as far as I understand), and sharing with wifi looks pretty cool, and I am wondering why I haven't seen this in a camera before...
That is surprising, considering that you can do all that (including RAW) in phones like the Samsung S8,9, etc. with no wi-fi necessary, and many processing apps available like Snapseed, LR, etc. New phones also have 512 GB built in and Samsung has the option of using large capacity micro sd cards.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:41 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:As I predicted, Zeiss had something else up their sleeves:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/343044445 ... mm-f2-lens
As posted above by lelouarn    :wink:

Joe
Thanks, thread is getting long, I just stuck that there after I added it to the original post :)

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:05 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another feature that I find lacking in the latest cameras that phones like the Samsung Note 9 have is the Bluetooth remote release built in. On the Note 9, it is built into the stylus. On others, both iPhones(ios) and Android, it is available as a cheap aftermarket Bluetooth release or a wired plug-in remote similar to what cameras use(headphone volume control can also be used, in addition to other dedicated wired remotes). Maybe some cameras have it, but I am not aware of any current cameras that do. Any camera with Bluetooth should have that capability built in to the body and come with a remote that doesn't require a phone to trigger it.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:15 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Voigtlander has also introduced new M and E mount lenses. They are an old name and are owned by Cosina. I don't know much about current quality, but prices are not low!

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/03353 ... ime-lenses

Joe

by signgrap on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:16 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Mike in O wrote:Correct me if I wrong...the difference between C1 for Sony and pro is just tethering and layers and that adds $50.
When I got my first Sony camera, a7R, I tried Capture One Express for Sony as I didn't want to keep paying a monthly fee to Adobe for LR. I had used LR since it first came out and was using LR 5.7 at the time. I liked the way C1 processed the a7R images - to my eye C1 got more out of the Sony RAW files then I could get out of the LR RAW conversions. 
However, I soon became very frustrated with C1 Express for Sony since about 75% of the C1 PRO program is unavailable in the FREE Express version. Soon after Adobe came out with LR 6 perpetual license, I brought it thinking I would be getting the same version that was available as the then current CC subscription version. I was so wrong, yes LR 6 had all the new camera models but none of the new software processing abilities then available in the CC subscription. That was the last straw!
So I tried the 30 day free trial of C1 PRO for Sony. Yes there is a steep learning curve, BUT the effort of learning the new software is well worth it. Learning C1 is much easier now because of the Learning Hub. The Tutorials are better, you can search to find the exact process you want to learn saving lots of time.
Dick Ludwig

by imagenes_vivas on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:36 am
imagenes_vivas
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
perhaps the 58mm f/.95 is that but it's large heavy and manual focus...
Does not understand why Nikon begins the Z series announcing a lens where AF does not work! Why? At f:0.95 it will be extremely difficult to focus by hand (although Focus peaking will help a lot on that, I suppose).

by Anthony Medici on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:07 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
imagenes_vivas wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Does not understand why Nikon begins the Z series announcing a lens where AF does not work! Why? At f:0.95 it will be extremely difficult to focus by hand (although Focus peaking will help a lot on that, I suppose).
I don't think they are making it because it will be useful. I think they are making it to prove they can and put it in a museum.
Tony

by Mike in O on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:40 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Anthony Medici wrote:
imagenes_vivas wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
I don't think they are making it because it will be useful. I think they are making it to prove they can and put it in a museum.
It is so easy to manual focus with peaking and magnification with an EVF, I am sure it will be a fun lens to use with unique results. I wonder if eye focus implementation in future Nikon cameras will allow this w/ MF.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:16 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Manual focus is desirable in certain circumstances, such as macro where the exact point of focus is too small for AF to pick up. With a f0.95 lens, the DOF is so shallow that it is usually very aparent if focus is correct or not. You don’t have to shoot with that aperture, but I feel it actually helps critcal focusing to have that shallow DOF. Here is more from Zeiss:

https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/us/ ... stems.html

I love a fast lens for low light and at my shooting distances, f0.95 would be plenty regarding DOF. It isn’t a long focal length, so it would work well at longer distances(wide angle shots), e.g. sunrise or sunset at the Crane Ponds.

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:38 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thom has a nice article that sums up Photokina pretty well. I especially liked his last two sentences in the article.

https://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/20 ... tions.html

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:23 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I'm not sure what to think of Panasonic entering the full frame market. Unless their cameras bring something compelling to the table, I'm not sure who they think their customer will be at this stage of the game. Do you think it signals the beginning of the end of m43? 
News from Panasonic:

https://fstoppers.com/gear/panasonic-not-ditching-micro-four-thirds-295161

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
So far, from what I see, the compelling thing for some about the Panasonic offering is that it is the only mirrorless offering, outside of the Leica SL, taht gives a full body DSLR experience - for those that do not like small cameras, this is a great option. While personally, I like the smallness of the full frame mirrorless bodies, there are many that feel that they are too small for them. Previously, if those people wanted to go mirrorless, the only option was the very expensive and low megapixel (24mp) Leica SL with their very expensive lenses. Not sure if that is enough of a market to make the Panasonic a success but that is something they "bring to the table"

52 posts |