All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Rudix on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:49 am
Rudix
Forum Contributor
Hi Everyone, I need some advice please.

I am considering getting a Sony A7R III, I want to use it for landscape and maybe city-scapes.  Since I have an extensive collection of Canon lenses that I am really happy with I would like to, at least initially, used these lenses on the Sony. I am mostly looking at shorter lenses but maybe up to 200mm.

I am not worried about fast AF, as long as it is accurate for stationary subjects. Locally I can get the Metabones adapters as well as the Sigma MC-11 converter. The question is what to choose? There seem to be quite a few Metabones models as well so that complicates matters a bit!

Any advice and/or experiences would be appreciated! 

Thanks!

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Either one will work fine. In my experience, the MC11 is a bit less finicky - it just works!

by Rudix on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:19 am
Rudix
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Either one will work fine.  In my experience, the MC11 is a bit less finicky - it just works!

Thanks EJ, that is good news! I like the less finicky bit, would prefer to concentrate on taking photos and not something else! 

Going on a short photo trip tomorrow but when I get back next week I will get stuck into the Sony world.....

by Rocky Sharwell on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:58 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
I own both-recently got a deal on the MC11. I don't have that much experience with it but my experience so far matches EJ's.
Rocky Sharwell

by Charlie Woodrich on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:52 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Either one will work fine.  In my experience, the MC11 is a bit less finicky - it just works!
Agreed, and it's less expensive.

by Rudix on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:56 am
Rudix
Forum Contributor
Some feedback, I borrowed a a7R iii for 2 weeks and I must say, in spite of the menus, I fell in love with the camera! After using it for a while even the menus are not that bad.

Today I returned the loan camera and did not waste any time to get my own. Unfortunately the MC11 adapter is not in stock locally so I ordered one. I did find a Metabones Canon EF Lens to Sony E Mount T Smart Adapter (Mark V) in stock so I took it. So far all seems well with my lenses. Since I am not planning on using the combo for action AF speed does not really concern me but it seems to be fine and accuracy is also good.

Will be taking the setup out tomorrow morning early for a dawn/flower shoot, hoping it will behave!

Thanks for the advice!

6 posts |