« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by kiwijohn on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:28 pm
kiwijohn
Forum Contributor
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/38899 ... -kamchatka

My heeeaaavy 600mm f4 is a real pain to carry long distances over rough terrain, and I ain't gettin' younger!
So the featherweight 500PF f5.6 is looking pretty good right now. 
Here is an article from DPReview....

"Shooting with Nikon's new 500mm F5.6E PF in Kamchatka"
By Roie Galiz

Roie Galiz is a beta product tester for Nikon Europe, so not an entirely independent viewpoint....

“I was a bit skeptical that it could deliver the same performance, so when I packed my gear for a recent bear photography workshop in Kamchatka, I packed the older lens too, just in case, alongside the new 500mm F5.6E PF and 180-400mm F4E.”

“…to really test the lens I went and photographed some Tufted Puffins flying around with beaks full of fish. The D850 + 500mm F5.6E combination delivered around a 70% hit-rate where the images were in sharp focus.”

“I didn’t expect this baby lens to be capable of the same image quality as the F4E, but it is! The D850’s 46 megapixels place a huge demand on any lens, and the 500mm F5.6E PF really delivers. Bokeh looks great, I couldn’t persuade it to flare while shooting against backlighting and I didn't notice any issues with chromatic aberrations.”

Tempting eh?
John

by photoman4343 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:06 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
My copy of the 500mm f 5.6 will reach me early next week. I am looking forward to putting it through its paces next week. And I am not in Nikon NPS program.
Joe Smith

by ricardo00 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:43 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
kiwijohn wrote:https://www.dpreview.com/articles/38899 ... -kamchatka

My heeeaaavy 600mm f4 is a real pain to carry long distances over rough terrain, and I ain't gettin' younger!
So the featherweight 500PF f5.6 is looking pretty good right now. 
Here is an article from DPReview....

"Shooting with Nikon's new 500mm F5.6E PF in Kamchatka"
By Roie Galiz

Roie Galiz is a beta product tester for Nikon Europe, so not an entirely independent viewpoint....

“I was a bit skeptical that it could deliver the same performance, so when I packed my gear for a recent bear photography workshop in Kamchatka, I packed the older lens too, just in case, alongside the new 500mm F5.6E PF and 180-400mm F4E.”

“…to really test the lens I went and photographed some Tufted Puffins flying around with beaks full of fish. The D850 + 500mm F5.6E combination delivered around a 70% hit-rate where the images were in sharp focus.”

“I didn’t expect this baby lens to be capable of the same image quality as the F4E, but it is! The D850’s 46 megapixels place a huge demand on any lens, and the 500mm F5.6E PF really delivers. Bokeh looks great, I couldn’t persuade it to flare while shooting against backlighting and I didn't notice any issues with chromatic aberrations.”

Tempting eh?
John
As an aging amateur, I am delighted to be able to walk around and hand hold my camera and lens again (gave up several years ago trying to carry my 300mm f/2.8).  I am sure in low light that a f/2.8 or f/4 lens would grab focus faster and more accurately but for other times, I will enjoy this lens.

by Swissblad on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:51 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Well, I just received my pre-order today.....
1st impressions are good - much lighter weight than my old 500mm f4.0 - as well as the 200-500mm zoom.
AF  seems very fast - and build is solid.  
Look forward to testing it later this week.
One happy camper.... :D

by Tim Zurowski on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:10 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Why aren't these posts in the earlier and larger 500 f5.6 PF thread just below??

by kiwijohn on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:51 pm
kiwijohn
Forum Contributor
Aaaah! You have the curse of the tidy mind!

Nothing more off-putting than to to have to keep scrolling waaaay down to the bottom of a very long thread to read the latest additions!
(I have the curse of a lazy mind!)

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:06 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
kiwijohn wrote:(I have the curse of a lazy mind!)
Must be true because the link you posted September 15th was previously posted in that thread a week earlier on September 8 at the bottom of the page.

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=278255&start=40

Sorry, I couldn’t help it, but I found that gate open!!!   :wink:

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:43 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
kiwijohn wrote:Aaaah! You have the curse of the tidy mind!

Nothing more off-putting than to to have to keep scrolling waaaay down to the bottom of a very long thread to read the latest additions!
(I have the curse of a lazy mind!)
Different strokes :) For me nothing more off-putting than to have someone post a new thread about the exact same subject right beside it. ;)

by kiwijohn on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:32 pm
kiwijohn
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
kiwijohn wrote:(I have the curse of a lazy mind!)
Must be true because the link you posted September 15th was previously posted in that thread a week earlier on September 8 at the bottom of the page.

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=278255&start=40

Sorry, I couldn’t help it, but I found that gate open!!!   :wink:

Joe
You got me!  :lol:

9 posts |