All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 30 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:10 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
They went with one slot so the follow up model can be introduced with two, showing us how they “listened “ to their customers. Lol
Seriously though, I’m not sure what advantage either the canon or Nikon mirrorless bring to the table beyond smaller body size at this point. Canons R is using a warmed over 5Dmark 4 sensor as far as I can tell and is pretty weak in other areas too. They(canon or Nikon) seem more like they’ve made lateral moves versus upping features or performance to a new level above their existing DSLR lineup.
I always use two slots, generally for overflow with smaller cards in the past. The past year or so, the second slot doesn’t see much use with the purchase of bigger and faster cards. It’s not a deal breaker for me, but I’d still prefer two slots.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
LOL - the SD card in the single slot failed during Tony Northrup's EOS-R video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_7gBzFjLU8&t=519s

by david fletcher on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:32 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
E.J. Peiker wrote:LOL - the SD card in the single slot failed during Tony Northrup's EOS-R video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_7gBzFjLU8&t=519s
Now there's a wonder.  Would be Northrup too.  One wonders what would be the mathematical odds of that happening.    :lol:
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by bradmangas on Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:53 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I foresee a time when you can buy a camera with 4 storage slots. Then when a new camera comes out with only 3 slots it will be totally unacceptable. Like most things in life, it's all in how you look at it.

by Des on Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Des
Forum Contributor
I cannot believe we're still talking about this. It's obviously a big deal for a lot of folks. Here's a video by Matt Granger with a slightly different argument that is also on the web with regards single card slot. Skip to 5:00 mins to get to the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkR9GfQHIEc
Regards,

Des

captivatingnature.co.uk

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Des wrote:I cannot believe we're still talking about this. It's obviously a big deal for a lot of folks. Here's a video by Matt Granger with a slightly different argument that is also on the web with regards single card slot. Skip to 5:00 mins to get to the point.
Exactly, it's no different than video is a big deal for some and then for some, like me, I never use the video function of my cameras at all.  But if a modern camera came out without video, I would still think that was a really flawed decision.  Just because no cameras had video 15 years ago isn't a valid argument.  Similarly, a brand new from the ground up camera design, that sells for $3400, in 2018 without two card slots is a deeply flawed design decision.

by ricardo00 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Just my thoughts:

Lots of Hype on the latest Nikon Z series one card slot;  (Negative hype).   
Sorry Des but couldn't resist posting.  Went out to take some photos with my new 500mm f/5.6.  Thought I would take a quick look at the jpg on my computer when I got home from my morning shooting so took out the SD card from my D500 (I always have both the XQD card with Raw and backup jpg in my SD card in the second slot).  On the computer showed no photos in the SD card (okay it is an older card, don't know how old but never gave me problems before, pic attached).  Took out XQD card and raws were fine.  Put the SD card back in camera and got the error message below.  Tried to reformat, still gave the error message.  SD card went in the trash.  No problem since I was at home, more of a problem if I was on a photographic trip.  Not to say I wouldn't buy a camera with a single memory slot, but if I had a choice, I would prefer having two (and I always have cards in both).

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:04 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a good article from Thom regarding card failures:

https://dslrbodies.com/accessories/came ... rrors.html

Jow
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by david fletcher on Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:19 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
SantaFeJoe wrote:Here’s a good article from Thom regarding card failures:

https://dslrbodies.com/accessories/came ... rrors.html

Jow
very useful info Joe.  Appreciated
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Neilyb on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:02 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Strangely the two cards which have failed for me we bought new when I bought new camera bodies. I know that the Lexar was a card reader problem, Lexar reader was not compatible :| but a Kingston failed too and ever since I have used both card slots.

30 posts |