https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/somethi ... el-sensor/
PS.  wanna state right now am not available for Sherpa duties...   :lol:
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:42 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Looks like they took that down. I think I would get a Fuji GFX 100 long before I would buy a 150mp back. Especially if Capture One were to support it :)

by DChan on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:06 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Looks like they took that down.  I think I would get a Fuji GFX 100 long before I would buy a 150mp back.  Especially if Capture One were to support it :)

I hope the next Fuji will have better AF.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Looks like they took that down.  I think I would get a Fuji GFX 100 long before I would buy a 150mp back.  Especially if Capture One were to support it :)

It will, the current 50mp sensor, as Sony sensor tech goes is three generations out of date, no BSI, no OSPDAF, slow readout, etc.  The new sensor is already out and being used in surveillance applications and it is far superior for just about everything.

by DChan on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:31 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
DChan wrote:

It will, the current 50mp sensor, as Sony sensor tech goes is three generations out of date, no BSI, no OSPDAF, slow readout, etc.  The new sensor is already out and being used in surveillance applications and it is far superior for just about everything.
Perhaps I should start saving some pennies. It's the AF performance of the current GFX that is stopping me from getting it.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It's gonna take a lot more than pennies :)

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I edited the title and replaced the URL with the official one for the new 151 megapixel IQ4-150.

It's pretty awesome with Capture One built into the digital back, BSI, better color array, dual slots, etc, etc, etc.  

Here's the URL again:
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Syst ... ystem.aspx

As far as I know, this is the first camera to support CFexpress.

by Mike in O on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:43 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I always wonder if buyers actually pay full retail price on a camera such as this? Seems like there may be a lot of bargaining room, not that I could ever aspire to this monster.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mike in O wrote:I always wonder if buyers actually pay full retail price on a camera such as this?  Seems like there may be a lot of bargaining room, not that I could ever aspire to this monster.
I'm sure there are some but I certainly paid nowhere near what the list price is for camera and lenses (XF IQ3-100, 28, 35, 40-80, 75-150, 300) but it still came to about what my first house came to in 1984.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
For the few that are interested in more detail. Digital Transitions, the USA's top dealer for Phase One has put together an incredible amount of info, much of it not on the P1 website:

http://phaseoneiq4.com/

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:21 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:As far as I know, this is the first camera to support CFexpress.
There is some info on the different card formats, speeds, etc. on this page. One thing I found interesting is that CFexpress cards are backwards compatible with the XQD system.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/04/breakdown-of-all-the-memory-card-options-available-for-photographers-and-videographers/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Primus on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:13 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Mike in O wrote:I always wonder if buyers actually pay full retail price on a camera such as this?  Seems like there may be a lot of bargaining room, not that I could ever aspire to this monster.

When I bought my system a few years ago (the 80 MPx back and lenses), I did get a 10% discount for the package because I had signed up for it during a tour where the rep was promoting it heavily. What was not clearly explained at the time was that the 5 yr warranty did not apply to the camera, just the digital back and lenses. Just my luck, a week after the 1 yr warranty ran out, the camera stopped working, had to be shipped to Denmark, cost me $750 to fix a problem with the shutter. 

That and many other factors made me realize that I had fallen for the hype. The final straw was when I wanted to buy the new back, with the CMOS sensor, the upgrade price was $30,000, meaning my $40K had fallen in value in just over a year to around $10K. 

With high end MF systems like this, it is caveat emptor. For those who need it, you have to be willing to accept very high depreciation and limited ease of use. However, it does provide features that are state of the art in terms of resolution. Not entirely sure the end result (the printed image) is that much better than what can be obtained with current 35mm technology.

Pradeep

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:As far as I know, this is the first camera to support CFexpress.
There is some info on the different card formats, speeds, etc. on this page. One thing I found interesting is that CFexpress cards are backwards compatible with the XQD system.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/04/breakdown-of-all-the-memory-card-options-available-for-photographers-and-videographers/

Joe
Yes, that's one of the big appeals of it as I've written here on numerous occasions ;) but many XQD products will need a FW update to actually use them.  Canon on CFast is locked out of some serious performance updates which the CFast spec can not and will not ever be able to achieve.  CFast is dead end, CFexpress is the future - who would have thought that a year or two ago when it looked like XQD was going to be exclusive to Nikon and end up as a betamax type of solution - the tables have turned dramatically and I am wondering when Canon will have to bite the bullet and anger their customer base by changing from CFast to CFexpress.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Article here:

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/28/phase- ... ra-system/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

15 posts |