Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Bruce Sherman on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:20 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
I currently have a Nikkor 105 mm f2.8 VR micro lens. I am considering something with a longer focal length so I don't have to get so close to tiny subjects. It looks like my choices are the 150 mm Sigma macro lens with OS, the 180 mm Sigma macro lens with OS, and the Nikon 200 mm macro lens without VR.

Can anybody give me help in making my decision about which of these three would be best? Thanks in advance.
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:32 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I can’t answer regarding the Sigma lenses, but I can tell you that my Nikon 200 f4 micro is my absolute favorite lens. It gives me plenty of working distance for insects without disturbing them. DOF is good when stopped down. I worked a lot with a 60mm with plenty of sucess on bees and tiny butterflies, but the working distance with the 200 is great. It is also an outstandingly sharp lens for non-macro work. It doesn’t have VR and is older technology, but works fine for me.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
All three are outstanding lenses.  The Nikon is a very old D lens which is from 4 generations of lenses ago introduced in the 1990's.  It also will have some compatibility issues with Nikon's mirrorless system and only work in manual focus mode with that.  It is very much due for replacement but an excellent lens and not compatible with all Nikon cameras as it requires a screw drive to run the AF system.  It's a lens from the film era.  I personally own the Sigma 150mm OS and have been very happy with it.  I owned the non OS before that.

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:47 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Bruce, I have been doing a ton of macro photography for the past two years, and have used all those lenses. My choice "hands down" would be the new Sigma 180 f2.8. The Sigma 150 f2.8 would be a very close second, but my understanding is that lens has been discontinued. The newest 180 Sigma is "supposed" to be a bit sharper and allows you a bit more working distance. I used the Nikon 200 f4 for a couple of weeks, and I would not even consider that lens at all. Yes it is very sharp and 'built like a tank", but it is very old technology with slower AF, no VR and a terrible archaic system for going from manual to auto focus. Not a lens for me at all. Also, I highly recommend that you never consider a macro lens without a tripod collar. Trust me, it will drive you crazy without a collar for a few reasons. You can get good deals on the Sigma 150 right now, but if cost is not huge factor for you, get the Sigma 180. ;)

by photoman4343 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:25 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I own and use my Nikon 200mm f4 macro lens all the time. I have owned if for about 18 years. It is very sharp and easy to focus accurately in manual mode. I rarely ever use it in AF as I prefer to use manual focus for my macro work and with the 200mm, I use a tripod.Tim's comments about the AF to manual switch/selection ring on the top of the lens are relevant. This is the part that has to be replaced if it gets used a lot. I agree that any long macro lens needs to have a well made tripod collar mount. If you prefer AF, then the check out the Sigmas. Also consider the weight differences among the lenses if you will be carrying it for any length of time.
Joe Smith

5 posts |