« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 194 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:50 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Rant on!
.....makes me really worry about the technical qualifications of people that these manufacturers use to push their products.  Nikon isn't the only one that has chosen people without the essential knowledge to do this sort of work but the lack of technical understanding of not only Marsel but the staggering lack of photographic knowledge of several other Nikon Ambassadors that have been pimping this product non stop in social media is really disturbing to me.  .......- now we learn that they really didn't have a clue...
Rant Off!
Bottom line is pushing a product to the average photographer who knows even less that these guys and boosting sales. Most people are not like many NSNers who like to try and keep on top of things, especially technical, regarding equip. Many people just don’t get into technical details, but only want to push buttons and see the result. Having the “lastest innovation” in epuipment is more important than what the technical aspects are for many people. They will preorder before the reviews are even out. Most pros will wait to see if the new products can actually enhance their arsenal to produce something not possible before, or make it easier to produce certain types of images

On the other hand, when I started out, many of the true pro’s used ancient, decrepit cameras, lenses and tripods that were marred with plenty of battle scars. They knew that the equipment was only a tool for the artist. The artist could produce with any reasonably decent camera/lens. Nowadays, technology has opened many possibilities that were unavailable before, but it is still mostly the eye behind the camera that produces the art. Can the average purchaser of art tell the difference between an image taken with with a mirrorless, dslr or even a high quality superzoom? I can’t!!! Can any average pro tell the difference between photos taken by C or N or S? Even camera phones are producing very marketable images when in the hands of an artist. The trend now seems to be going back to film and early (retro) digital p&s cameras. It’s actually refreshing to me to see that. Even in PP, some filters are designed to create the retro look. It’s still the eye behind the camera that produces the art, not the equipment used. I remember hearing someone in Tucson ask Art Wolfe what settings he used on Nikon flashes (1994). He said that someone from Nikon told him to set the flash at a certain setting and the body ev comp at another. That’s all he knew. Nobody can deny the IQ of his images, even though he may not know the technical aspects of his equipment!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Knowing Art Wolfe (I do), he definitely knows those things now ;)

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Knowing Art Wolfe (I do), he definitely knows those things now ;)
I’d say, in 24 years, you learn a thing or two. Now he uses Canon, but even back then he was a great photographer, technical knowledge or not.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by david fletcher on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:31 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Knowing Art Wolfe (I do), he definitely knows those things now ;)
I’d say, in 24 years, you learn a thing or two. Now he uses Canon, but even back then he was a great photographer, technical knowledge or not.

Joe
second that.  trail blazer..
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by MND on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:14 am
MND
Forum Contributor
This Youtube video pretty much makes a mockery of the Northrup's and other Z series detractors video's. 

Nikon Z AF Testing

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:50 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Some AF tests including birds on water with an adapted 500/4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex5vVy6KBac

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:52 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Some AF tests including birds on water with an adapted 500/4
No tracking movement though especially on subjects closer to the camera moving towards or away from the camera - just about any gear should handle the situation as presented...

by MND on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:18 am
MND
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Some AF tests including birds on water with an adapted 500/4
No tracking movement though especially on subjects closer to the camera moving towards or away from the camera - just about any gear should handle the situation as presented...
At this moment in time it’s not an A9, A7RIII, D5, D500,D850 but with probably beta firmware it certainly isn’t anywhere near as bad as biased bloggers with zero time on the camera have been saying. 

It’s never going to be a great action camera in its current form but let’s give it the benefit of the doubt until we actually try it for ourselves. 

Nikon have been in business for 100 years after all. They have a lot of very talented engineers working for them. 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Great blog post on these new mirrorless offerings from Roger Cicala at LensRentals:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/0 ... y-opinion/

by Gary Irwin on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:34 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
So my take-away is that notwithstanding Nikon's and Canon's new offerings which may or may not appease their fans, Sony will continue to have a commanding lead in FF mirrorless for the foreseeable future.
Gary Likes Nature.

by MND on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:42 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Having gone through the A7R, the A7RII and the A7RIII I'm very glad I sold my A7RIII, Batis 18mm and 85mm, 100-400GM etc.

I cannot believe all the negative crap thats been written or videoed about this camera and lenses, mainly from people who have their own agendas or never even handled one at all. (I can only speak for the 35mm f/1.8 lens).

You do not know your looking at an EVF.

As a lightweight landscape alternative to my D850 I'm extremely happy.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes, clearly the Z7 EVF is better than the Sony's - still not as good as Leica's but the best of the rest right now.  This is one of the reasons that competition in this space is great.  It will absolutely force Sony to up their EVF in their next iteration.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:39 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Sigma claims all current lenses work fine with FTZ adapter on Z7:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/721965653 ... tz-adapter

Joe

by MND on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:48 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
darn. E.J. Peiker wrote:Yes, clearly the D850 EVF is better than the Sony's - still not as good as Leica's but the best of the rest right now.  This is one of the reasons that competition in this space is great.  It will absolutely force Sony to up their EVF in their next iteration.

I never realized the D850 had an EVF too.  :lol:

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Z7 - fixed.

by MND on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:01 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Ming Thein reviews the Z7 and 24-70 S lens. Z7 review

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
MND wrote:Ming Thein reviews the Z7 and 24-70 S lens. Z7 review
I like Ming a lot but wow!!! - strikes me as odd to have an employee of Hasselblad reviewing a Nikon camera... :o

by MND on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 am
MND
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
I like Ming a lot but wow!!! - strikes me as odd to have an employee of Hasselblad reviewing a Nikon camera... :o

Absolutely, he's still working for Hasselblad as far as I know. He does shoot Nikon as well and he does say that he purchased the Z7 himself.

by david fletcher on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:08 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
MND wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:

Absolutely, he's still working for Hasselblad as far as I know. He does shoot Nikon as well and he does say that he purchased the Z7 himself.
I'll say one thing though.  That at least his images have a bit more life and spark to many of the Nikon launch shots...  :)
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Article comparing Z7 and D850 in dynamic range:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon- ... fic_source

Joe

194 posts |